Thread: Panic going uphill

Panic going uphill

Hi everyone,
    Just wondering if anyone else gets panic attacks at the thought of walking up hills or slopes. One symptom of my attacks is that I hyperventilate and the thought of going up a hill or slope terrifies me as I think I won't be able to breathe.

I am agoraphobic and have only just learnt to walk outdoors and that with great difficulty. I dread going out and panic before I even do so. Once outside I will make every effort under the sun to avoid streets which slope upwards, even so far as to get a taxi to take me a few yards!!! Silly I know but that's how it's got me.

Does anybody else suffer from this?

love
    Sunny

Re: Panic going uphill

Weird. I had a dream last night that I was running away from a wolf and I was in a country lane and as I ran the lane got steeper and steeper until I was climbing up it using to knives like icepicks, but the wolf could just run up the lane/wall. Classic anxiety dream.

Your problem, I think, is your fitness levels. Get a treadmill in your house, so you can get fit in your comfort zone, then you won't panic when your heart rate increases going up hills.

Are you OK on your stairs at home? or are you worrying about what's on the other side of the hill? Do you worry you'll somehow fall down the hill?

Any questions, fire away.

Hi there,

Have you had any bad memories of anything bad happening to you going up a hill?
    I sort of relate to you because I had a nasty fall whilst on rollerblades when I was younger going up a hill. I bashed all my leg in.
    Now when I walk up a hill it can provoke that memory.

The thing is that when you walk uo a hill the ground is closer to you and you are obviously out of breath. This doesnt help for normal breathing and calmness. Its also hard to 'run away' from the fear of agraphobia. A flat straight path is more easier to escape the fear rather than a steep hill.
    I know for a fact in mid panic attack I would rather be on the flat than on a hill.

It could be related to that.

Thank you for your replies. It's really nice to know someone understands.

I had my first panic attack while going up a hill and I think that's what has affected me. Ever since then I have been terrified of hill and slopes.

Tweek, yes, I am unfit now. Due to not going out and sitting around the house I have become a lot less fit than I used to be. I used to be able to jog and run before my agoraphobia set in but now, because I've not done anything for months, my muscles have become weak. When my agoraphobia first set in I had trouble going up stairs but now I have no problems with them. At first I feared them but now I have got over that.

I manage to get up a rather steep hill a couple of weeks ago and was okay but the fear is still there. I am in the middle of a horrible panic attack as I am writing this so I will end here.

Thank you both again.

love
    Sunny
    Last edited by sunnydays; 23-08-08 at 13:41.

Sunny,
    I agree with Tweek, I think you should get a treadmill. I have a treadmill that can adjust it's elevation, so it's inclined or declined or flat. Perhaps you should work on that first.
    But! Good job on walking up that steep hill! That had to be difficult. Yes, the fear will still be there, however after awhile it will be like the stairs. Focus on being positive and you'll get there!
    My first panic attack was in the middle of the night when I had a heart palpitation. I was terrified of nighttime and slept with lights on all the time for about six months, but slowly I've receded back to my normal sleeping patterns. It just takes time and positive thinking. Keep going!

As for your panic attack I'm so sorry! If you need to talk you are welcome to PM me whenever you want!
    Hugs!!
    Jessica "Gnome"

Hi Sunny
    I get into a panic at the mere thought of walking up a steep hill. Or even a lot of stairs. Then I hyperventilate and my heart beats fast and I think I am going to die. Silly, isn't it? But it's very real to me.
    I live in a flat up 3 flights of stairs and I can manage those OK by simply walking steadily and slowly up them - so I don't start to get out of breath. Nevertheless, if I am carrying anything heavy - like bags from the launderette - I can still get awful panic attacks and so I have had to resort to carrying one bag at a time up to my flat.
    I just wanted to say that you are not alone with this. I think it might be quite common. I guess the best things are to try and improve our fitness, as others have already suggested, and to walk up any hills at a slow, steady pace. Taking plenty of rest if necessary. I have found by doing this that the hills are not as bad as my fear of them - and so I have become less fearful.

Best wishes

Chris

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your reply. You have reassured me a lot. I'm so glad you posted

I feel exactly the same as you do about steep hills and will do anything to avoid them! Stairs are not a problem now .... unless like you I am carrying heavy stuff up there. I really hyperventilate then! You're so right about improving our fitness, Chris. If we're unfit then we're bound to get breathless up hills and on stairs even if we didn't suffer from panic attacks. Of course, the fact that we do suffer from panic attacks just makes the problem ten times worse, doesn't it? Anyone else would simply think, " Oh I must be really out of condition". Not us. We think, "OMG, I'm going to collapse/have a heart attack/die".

Thank you again for your post. I wish you all the very best

love
    Sunny

Thread Information