Thread: Sleepless in Scotland

Sleepless in Scotland

Hiya

I found this site by accident yesterday as I was searching for information on the side effects of Citalopram and I'm glad I did!

I am taking my first Citalopram tablet tonight and I'm really nervous about it.
    I always look up the side effects wondering which ones will affect me this time and knowing that I'm just terrifying myself on purpose. Being able to read about others experiences of this drug has helped in some instances, and scared me in others.

I have been suffering from depression for 6 years, but am also anxious and scared everyday, whether there's a reason to be or not. I am constantly on edge, feel I dont fit in but cant seem to stop looking for acceptance. Lack of sleep is a huge part of my life. I'm lucky if I have a couple of hours sleep a night and there is nothing worse than lying awake in bed, thinking about everything that I said and did that day, finding fault and analysing every single thing.

Apart from clunking myself on the head with a huge hammer every night, does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks for listening....

YoYo x

Re: Sleepless in Scotland

Sorry to hear you are suffering from the dreaded insomnia,I don't snooze right either and lie with racing thoughts and anxiety.I desperately need sleep and wish I could just drop off but I daren't take the sleeping tabs my doc gave me and have a constant battle every night with the decision of taking them,at the moment my fear wins.
    The Citalopram issue I am afraid I cannot give you advice on as I haven't got those,my doc gave me Setraline which I am scared of taking too so you see I am without help through my own doing.
    I am sure you will be fine and will get some relief from your worries and anxieties after the initial settling down period,good luck!

Hi Mothermac

Thanks for your response. Lack of sleep is torture, I'm constantly exhausted and there are so many things that I want and need to do, but just dont have the energy. The worst is the slow passage of time when you are lying awake, thinking, about every single thing.

I'm sorry to hear that you suffer from insomnia also, I wouldnt wish it on anyone, but it's also good to share experiences.

I know what you mean about sleeping tablets, I have swithered about taking them, but am too scared that I'll get hooked on them. I get scared about taking other drugs also, the side effects often seem worse than the "cure"!

Can you not talk to your doctor and get him/her to listen to your fears?

I wish you all the very best and hope you finally get a good night's sleep!

YoYo x

im taking citalopram primarily cos anx made me sleep vey little.

it does work for me hunny and gives me regular quality sleep now

u may go thru a period of feeling tired in the day, and may have some side effects, but the relief from the meds far outways any side effects.

it may take a while to get the dose right, mine took 3 months. im on 40 mg now and starting to live again

good luck

milly xxxx

Hi Milly

Thanks for your post. I have been on 20 mg Citalopram for 3 days now and have to admit that I havent experienced any side effects at all. I hope I've not spoken too soon!! I was a bit anxious after reading some of the experiences of others on this site but I suppose everyone's reaction is different.

I've actually been sleeping okay since I started on Citalopram, I've been getting at least 5-6 hours a night which is excellent! Fingers crossed that it continues.

I'm glad to hear that Citalopram is working for you now also. All the very best.

YoYo xx

Thread Information