Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Out of hospital

Smile Out of hospital

Well, here I am after another fortnight in the Luxury Hotel......ok, NHS mental health hospital!
    I think it was therapeutic for me. Initially, it was as a place of safety. I was admitted to an acute ward. I think that is how I get ill; low mood turns bad extremely quickly but I quickly get out of that dangerous place when medicine kicks in. Once I got restarted on meds, the mood began to lift pretty quickly. Stopping the meds this time wasn't my doing though! It was on the instructions of a doctor after I had had a possible allergic reaction, which turned out not to be an allergy, but just a transient reaction as I am back on the same meds that caused the reaction.
    I also did an awful lot of sleeping in the first week. I literally only got out of bed when I had to. I have a theory, that mental illness, like physical illness can be helped by sleep. My brain was getting to a point of shut down when I was at home and I think the sleeping I did helped me.
    I was given the choice today of going home for good, going home on a weekend pass thus leaving my bed open for me over the weekend should I feel the need to return, or of staying in. I chose to come home for good. I think the hospital environment had stopped being of any help for me.
    In hindsight, I don't think I was well enough the last time I got discharged but I was so determined not to let my family down by not being fit enough to go on holiday.
    I feel a calm that I hope will last. This time, I have come out and I know I am not well. I am no longer a danger to myself, but I am recognising that I have a mental illness, I am not quite stable and I will have to take medication for several years, if not the rest of my life. I have felt twice recently the terrible way my mood can swing if I am not taking mood stabilising drugs. I also recognise that I HAVE to give up my job which is stressful and triggering.

Happyone
    xx

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

Re: Out of hospital

ohh hunny u sound so much better

really glad to have u back with us

welcome home

milly xxx

Welcome back! Hope all goes OK, keep us informed.xxx

Please bear with me, Ill be back for good soon.

welcome back happyone. . .
    sending you lots of
    rach
    x

Hi Happy

Hope things can move forward for you now hun.

Welcome back

Love

Andrea
    xxxxx

Welcome back Happy

I don't think anyone returns from an inpatient stay 'cured' as you recognise but it is a good sign that you have insight into what will help you remain stable. That's a good start.

I wish you well Happy.

Karen xx

Welcome back Happy

Sounds like your hospital stay has helped you I hope your progress continues.

Carol x

Thanks folks

karen, you are so right about not coming back 'cured'. I think the last time I thought I was more well than I was.
    It is really weird though, I keep on waiting for things to go wrong. I have lost my drivers license (thus my freedom) due to my instability and non compliance with medical treatment, my group therapy which means a huge deal to me is ending this week, I am going to have to get another job which will mean less money and my 1-1 therapy is getting nearer to ending! I should by all accounts be in more distress than I have been, rather than being better! So, being the pessimist that I am, I have a little niggle in my head "when is the proverbial **** going to hit the fan?"
    Happyonex

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

Hey Happy,

Sorry you've had a rough time recently, but your post sounds like you're trying to accept things.

Try not to worry about the job etc, perhaps working at the moment isn't the best thing. Maybe get some benefits sorted out and things will be much easier.

Trying to judge your own health is always hard, I think of the times I've tried to go to work with a bug and ended up going home, it isn't much different to that.

Take each day as it comes and try not to worry about the future. You have lots of friends here who are routing for you.

Jim

Hi HappyOne,

So glad you are back. If I were you I would take things one day at a time. As for your job, I would think a less stressful one would be looking pretty good considering how they treated you. You deserve so much more. Try not to look for the bad and accept the good.

Laura xxx

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information