Thread: Please Advice Needed!!!

Please Advice Needed!!!

Hello my name is Sarah.. I have not long started Citalopram 20mg it making me feel a little better not a million times tho.
    I started to get very bad panic attacks in 2002 when I had to have an emergancy C-section with my son. I have suffered really bad panic and Anxiety attacks ever since.. It has got so bad i can not go on trains planes lifts any locked room where i can not get out if and when I choose. I have been told I have clostraphobia and I cant seem to get over it.
    I have juts found out this morning that I am 6 weeks pregnant and BLIND PANIC HAS SET IN!
    I have been told in the past if I ever feel pregnant again I would have to have another C section as there is a problem with my pelvis and my labours would get to a certain point and then just stop, and I would be taken in for a C-section.
    What am I going to do. When I had my C-section in 2002 I was bad but I am not half as bad as i am now. I will have to give up on my citalopram and the thought of being paralised by the epidural and not being able to move in its self is sending me in to blind panic.
    I cant stop crying, I was taking the pill so unsure how I even feel pregnant, then feel mad at my self as I would love another baby but the thought of this C-section has got me so frightened and in panic I cant even think straight.
    Please Please any one have advice for me
    Sarah

Re: Please Advice Needed!!!

it may not have been the C-section that started your illness
    and even if it was it may not happen twice
    look on the wonferfull side of a new baby in your life
    dont give up

Re: Please Advice Needed!!!

Hi Sarah - hugs first of all. And congratulations on being pregnant!!!! Must have been meant to be.

And the good news for you is that an emergency C section is utterly different to a planned C section.. Please hold onto that thought. There are also different epidurals - a mobile one is available. Not sure if it will be the one for you but you can discuss with your midwife. Many maternity hospitals have 'an anxious mummy to be' clinic where you get therapies - including reflexlogy etc to help you.

Perhaps doing a course of reflexlogy or acpunture may help you throughout the pregnancy?

Regarding citalopram... Sometimes mummies-to-be are left on their meds for the pregnancy. This is because the stress of not being on the tablets is more harmful to baby than being on them.

Obviously in an ideal world we'd not be taking them but there is no research to show it will harm baby. The reason Dr's would shy away from prescribing them to someone who hasn't taken them before and is pregnant is because there is very little research on this subject because pregnant ladies are reluctant to do medical research!

20mg is not a high amount so don't worry about that at the moment. Don't come off them now - see your Dr about it and have a chat with them.

I think you need to talk about these fears with you Dr/midwife and be really honest. They can support you and hopefully address your fears.

Pregnancy is scarey and stressful even for those who don't suffer with panic or anxiety.

P.S. this is rich from me who is due my second little one in 2 weeks time and pooping herself with fear !!!

Thread Information