Thread: Two questions

Two questions

Hello all

I've just started taking citalopram - 3 days ago - and am feeling pretty grim. It's cope-able but grim.

First question- I've had horrible problems sleeping - keep lurching awake every time I'm about to drop off and that happened the whole night. My doctor gave me sleeping tablets to use in an emergency which I've fought taking but I really need to sleep - I'm really worried about being dependent on a zillion tablets. Can I take zopiclone with citalopram?

Secondly, I've got so much muscular tension - every inch of my body feels wired, even my teeth - it's this tension trying to relax at night that jerks me awake I guess. The tablets are going to help with this aren't they? Not just make me less depressed but address these permanently wired feelings. I think I know the answer to this but my head is starting to revv up. Oh dear...better have another cup of lemon balm.

thanks to all

Sue

Re: Two questions

Hi Sue
    I'm nearly at the end of of my first week of citalopram. I'm assuming the sleeplessness and wired feeling came on, or at least got increased by, taking the citalopram?

There's a fair few weird and wonderful effects you might experience at first. Sleep disruption is one. A lot of people either can't get off to sleep or keep waking up during the night. It's best to take the medication at a regular time of day, and mornings seem to be best so sleep is disrupted the least. Personally I take it about 6pm and my sleep has actually improved.

I get the wired feeling, a feeling of headrush at times and some agitation. Occasionally a feeling of muscle spasm in my back. And yes i do get an unpleasant feeling in my teeth sometimes. Again these don't seem to be too uncommon in the early stages. The stuff can actually increase anxiety and feelings of depression in the early days. But it all should level off. You might also find you get a dry mouth and a dry or tight throat, and some nausea. And for novelty value you might find your feet feel a bit hot. The side effects aren't a lot of fun, but they should ease and pass in time. It's a bit weird to start with and you might feel a bit all over the place. It takes sometime for the body to adjust and it normally takes 2 weeks plus for the drug to have a real positive effect. But personally I am finding the stuff to be effective.

As for using the zopiclone with it I don't know, but hope some of the above is of use.

Re: Two questions

I take Zopiclone with Citalopram and it's really helpful. I can't cope without sleep!

Thread Information