Thread: Do I have a heart problem or anxiety? Help.

Do I have a heart problem or anxiety? Help.

Okay, so I've been having the typical symptoms of anxiety. Fear, heart palpalation, and so on. So I went to the doctor recently and did some test. My blood pressure was in the pre-hypertension area. The ECG and chest x-rays came out okay. Nothing serious or anything. The only thing the doctor was concern about was my heart murmur. He said that it was pretty loud I think, not sure. So he prescribed Atenolol to me, say he wants to check if my conditions become better. Now I not very fond of taking medications, I don't like the side effects. I was getting lightheaded and having back pains. I wanted to know if its necessary to take these pills or not. I also have a appointment to take a echocardiogram test. Is my health in serious condition?

I not sure if this is the best place to post my problems, but I wasn't sure where to post. Please reply soon, thanks.

Re: Do I have a heart problem or anxiety? Help.

Hello The Thinker, welcome to the board, i'll just start of by saying if you feel the side effects were caused after taking Atenolol i would recommend telling your doctor again to make sure that what your doctor prescribed is really ok for you,i've also had the same tests for heart checks as you and my outcome was just anxiety and if there was something sinister they would of told you straight away and your cardiologist will let you know how things are when you have ya appointment there and then, so if ya been ok with the checks you should be fine!, all the best mate

Re: Do I have a heart problem or anxiety? Help.

Heart murmurs are usually benign, but when it comes to the heart I think it's reasonable to say one should follow the doctor's advice.
    Take the medications as prescribed, and do a follow up session with your doctor as soon as possible to discuss side effects.

Thread Information