Thread: harming myself

harming myself

Hi Guys,

I've been reading a lot of threads about people getting intrusive thought to harm others, but I wanted to know if there are any members that are terrified of hurting themselves?

I was diagnosed with OCD when i was 14 after going to the doctors telling him all about my urges to break my fingers or make myself vomit. I've tried behavioural therapy to some extent and been on many antidepresants but unfortunately 10 years later the problem is still there! I can be a happy person for a lot of the time but there is generally no predicting when im going to get a bad episode and scare myself senseless.

Is there anyone out there with a similar type of problem and if so, have you got any tips on calming yourself down whilst getting these thoughts? I'm just fed up with not always being able to cope on my own.

Thanks guys

Re: harming myself

Although I do suffer from OCD and have for many years I have never wanted to harm myself. I have done some stupid stuff just to see what would happen though. I also get some pretty crazy thoughts in my head that I tell people if they ever saw what was going on in there I would be locked up for life. I know I would never act on those thoughts though. I do different things to relax. I listen to music and sing out loud or I read to loosen my mind. I also try and count to 100 without another thought entering my head. It sounds easy but its not because every time a though comes I start over and by the time I am done the bad thoughts are gone. If you need any more help honey please write me and I will help as much as I can. Take care.

you wont hurt any one its just your mind its not what you do
    wish you better

Thanks, I will defintitely give the counting to 100 trick go, sounds like that might calm me down a lot which is just what i need!

I too have had similar thoughts since I was young and the way I have learned to handle it is just to accept it is the ocd and not me, crucially though I can talk about it to my partner, believe me as with the other respondents if strangers in the street could see what I was thinking they would run a mile, but then again how many of them are thinking similar thoughts? I know this does not sound like a great bit of advice but think about it its not you thinking these thoughts its you ocd doing it and once you are at peace with this you will find it much easier to handle. There is a great book out there called the ocd workbook this is what helped me with a lot of my probs buy it and read it it really can help,
    good luck Owain

they are just thoughts x because you fear them there is very very little chance u will do what you fear x

Thread Information