Thread: Breathing

Breathing

I am starting to cope with most symptoms of anxiety...I just cant get out of my head about my breathing. Its become a bit of an obssession with me...when I feel very anxious my breathing gets screwed up...I know I'm not going to stop breathing Im just scared I will hyperventilate out of control and not stop or I wont be able to catch my breath. This has never happened ever in god know who many years. I just cant convince myself this will never happen.

Any advice?

Thanks

Loopy
    xx

Loopy

It takes a lot of practice to get the breathing under control. I used to do relaxation tapes twice a day that concentrated on breathing correctly. Have you got any of these? It is easier to do it when you have a voice telling you when to breathe in and out.

It takes practice but it can be done in time.

Nicola

Loopy,

Chemically its not possible. Your body will take over and reset its balance again .

The best you can do is keep your breaths slow and deep and all wil be ok, not always comfortable but ok

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Meg in your reply you said: -

Chemically its not possible. Your body will take over and reset its balance again .

Could you explain that a little bit more for me, I'm just looking for reassurance.

Thank You

Loopy
    x

Hi, yeah i think the key to this, is breathing exercises. Have you tried relaxation or guided meditation?

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

hi loopy,
    it's so scary when we feel like we can't control our breathing. i had a breathing thing for ages - it tooks weeks and weeks and weeks of practising abdominal breathing and doing a relaxation tape before i calmed down about it. rescue remedy also helped me feel calm enough to concentrate on the breathing exercises.
    take care,
    henri

Hiya,
    i have had the breathing problem to for a long time, infact it was one of the reasons i came upon this web site i typed breathing difficulties and chest pain in google and up popped this site, WHAT A LIFE SAVER, i read the first main home page and was blown away, it explained the symptoms i'd had for years in not so scarey terms, it made me realise that we DO have control of our breathing, and as everyone has already said if you get some relaxation tapes cd's etc and take some time to yourself you can get your breathing in to some sort of order, i have read page after page on here and each one gave me more hope, and for the first time in a very long time i dont have chest pains (which i cant even begin to describe the relife) and i also now feel the differance between good and bad breathing, the shorter breaths in and longer breaths out has completely changed things for me, as i said i have suffered for years and although my anxiety is still awfull, my ocd is controling my life, my Emitaphobia is as bad as ever, the shear joy at being able to breathe in and out normally is a huge step forward.

Take the advice everyones given you and try to allow yourself some time to learn what is a essentialy a new way to breath ;o) trust me you will find it worthwhile.
    If i can ever be of help then please feel free to PM me, take good care
    Sharon xxxxx

yeah my only sympton from GAD is now breathing any help would be welcome whats the proper way or is there many diffrent ways,thanx

metal,rock, and hardcore music is my life!

Thread Information