Thread: Citalopram and Diazepam together

Citalopram and Diazepam together

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I wanted to ask as I am lying here on my own and terrified, with the feelings I am experiencing. I have awful tremors, ectopic beats, feelings I can't breath, sweating, rapid heart rate, then very slow. When I stand the lightheadness is dreadful. I have been on 10 mg of Citalopram for quite a while, but due to recent life problems and issues with lightheadness and feelings I will fall all the time, my doctor increased my dose to 20 mg and prescribed Diazepam 5mg to be taken as and when needed, some times I take the 5mg, sometimes 10mg a day.

At first this stopped the lightheadness within the first week, but now it is back worse than before, and the sensations in my body, the whooshing sensations, feeling as if I will pass out. The sudden shocks, big ectopic beats that make me flush and feel lightheaded are back worse than before. Walking is like stepping off an escalator and my legs feel weak as if they will give way under me.

I am frightened to go out as all nosies and colors are so bright and loud, the whole world is like an orchestra tuning up, every sound is unique and deafening. I know I have an anxiety disorder and have been treated for depression / anxiety now for 20 years with different drugs but this is the worst I have ever been, and it feels to me like I am dying and it is the drugs doing this, not my anxiety.

Every morning I want to wake up and stop taking them but I know I can't. I will see my doctor again this week and explain these terrifying symptoms, I really feel so dreadful and my life is so awful and I am really struggling to cope with these awful feelings.

Re: Citalopram and Diazepam together

Hi,
    So sorry you are feeling down at the moment. I just wanted to say I too am on Citalopram and have Diazepam to take when needed. I constantly worry that I have something wrong with me and that it can't possibly be anxiety that makes me feel this way and produces the physical symptoms that I experience. I do also wonder if the meds are responsible, as some of the side affects can be the same as anxiety itself. In many ways I wish I'd never started with the drugs because although now I don't get so many actual panic attacks I never seem to be without one or more of the other things- lightheadedness, fluttering heart, feeling sick etc. Its a vicious circle isn't it.
    Anyway take comfort if you can from the fact that you're not alone and I hope things improve for you soon.
    Goodlife

Oh my goodness , you really are going through a bad spell of it at the moment and I soo feel for you.
    You didn't say how long you've been on the 20mg Citalopram and how long you've been taking Diazepam, I'm just wondering if you're maybe taking to much Diazepam and whether it might help to take say half of a 5mg tablet at a time to see if it helps.
    I know that when I started Diaz. the dosage my Docs prescribed (8mg per day) was far to much for me and worked in an opposite way than they should.
    One of my Daughters has Menieres and she takes a quarter of a 2mg diaz. tablet when she has the dizzies.
    I hope you can see your Doc soon.
    Thinking of you
    Decca.

Hi,
    I am on 60mg citalopram daily and have 2mg diazipam to take when I need it. I have taken diaz once and it didn't have any effect on me at all and my attack and palpitations didn't subside.
    Looking at how you are feeling though it would seem to me (but i'm NO expert) that your meds aren't working well for you. See you doctor as soon as you can as I think they need to know about how you are feeling just now.

Take care x

Thank you everyone. Yes is it the medication or the illness? Having started these tablets because I was struggling so much with similar symptoms they now seem to be taking control of my every day life. I never have a day without panic or realted symptoms.
    I have tried absolutely everything from diet, therapy, CBT, meditation, exercise, medication and so on and so on and I just cannot beat this illness, it calms then comes back worse than before. Nearly 20 years of constant struggle with this. I fear I will end up completely housebound at some stage soon.
    I was convinced that was it today and the end was coming I felt so frightened, hence my post, but I survived and I am here to tell the tale again.

Thread Information