Thread: New and Full of Anxiety

New and Full of Anxiety

Hi, I'm new to this site and am very glad I found it. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who is suffering from extreme health anxiety (not that I want anyone to be suffering from this).

I'm 43 years old and about a month and a half ago I found a small hard lump above my clavicle and absolutely freaked out. The first thing I did was get my doctor to send me for a mammogram and a chest x-ray because I was sure it must be a cancer that had stemmed from someplace else. Anyway, both tests came back clear. My doctor also sent me to a surgeon to have it checked. The surgeon sent me for a CT scan which was normal. Apparently the lump was a residual somethingorother. You'd think this would have eased my mind but it didn't. I have a chronically sore tonsil on that side ... it pains but I get no fever or anything. Now I'm worried that my tonsil has cancer and it's spreading. Would a CT scan show everything in the neck including the tonsils or just some things? Should I feel confident that everything is in fact normal? I'm still so upset and don't know what to think. Any input would be appreciated.

Re: New and Full of Anxiety

Hey hunni
    do not fear as long as uv had the all clear frm those tests u obviosly have no cancer im sure of it , as those tests are used in finding cancers . u most proberly v anxious try to relax hun and do somethink to taake ur mind off . i am having throat problems to hun i ave trouble to swallow food and i have a lump feeling in my throat and im waiting to have an endoscopy on my throat so i knw exactly wot ur going through and so does many others on here this is a brill site and will help u a great deal so stay here!!! where is ur lump in ur mouth hun?? do u ave problems wiv ur tonsil? but like i said dont worry if uv been given the all clear jus relax .were all here to help your fine lots of love C.xxxxxxxx

I am sorry you are suffering with so much anxiety over your health, the good news is that everything has come back fine and it sounds like they have checked you over really well. The CT scan wouldve shown anything serious for sure. The next part is trying to believe them. It is hard but one step at a time, things will get better.

Hi laura, welcome to NMP
    Did your tonsil hurt a month and a half ago when you first went to the doctor about the clavicle lump? You know that the lump on your clavicle isn't a tumour because that's been thoroughly checked and cleared. And presumably your doctor has checked your general health in addition to the mammogram, CT scan and chest x-ray? If you had cancer then some signs of that would have shown up in all the tests and examinations that you had for your clavicle lump. The doctor would be looking for those signs, as they always do with lump checks. The clavicle lump isn't a tumour, how likely is it that the swollen tonsil is a tumour?
    It's much more likely that your tonsil is sore because of a mild infection than anything else - you don't always get fever etc if it's just a minor local infection, also it depends on what the nature of the infection is. If you're still worried and its not getting any better then probably best to go back to your GP but please try not to worry that it is cancer. We all get lumps and bumps and swellings all over our bodies all the time - the vast, vast majority of them are benign. Hope you get some support and comfort from the site .
    Last edited by LeeBee; 21-09-08 at 06:54.

Thanks for your replies. It's good to know that others understand the feelings you go through.

Thread Information