Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: existential terror/anxiety/depression or death anxiety

Re: existential terror/anxiety/depression or death anxiety

---------- Post added at 06:10 ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 ----------

Personally I find it quite comforting that once you die that's it, nothingness doesn't scare me as I know I will not exist to experience it.

No heaven, no hell, no eternal existence which could suck.

I guess that is a good advantage of being an atheist
    We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.

I am glad somebody bumped this up, as I wouldn't have seen it otherwise. This is one of my main sources of much of my distress and really got bad once my mom passed away. I've gone through therapy, EMDR, etc but still this terror exists. I read a book by Yalom called Staring at the Sun, about death anxiety, and I know that is what I am battling and think my health anxiety plays a role.

For me, I am an atheist and not for lack of trying to believe. I wish I could believe in something greater but simply cannot anymore at this point. For me, I am coming to a point where I am trying to accept what life is and is not and be able to enjoy it, but it is so hard when I look at the people I love and know I will lose them some day or vice versa, and all the terrible things that eventually happen. My mom died of cancer, a horrible way to go, and just terrifies me that my other loved ones or myself will go through that.

So I guess I have trouble being able to be happy in spite of what life is and is not. I don't believe in an afterlife, so I know nothing will matter once I am dead, but that in and of itself is sad to me. I am sad to know one day this will all be gone and I won't even know I existed. I think I'm thinking too much about it but once you have gone there mentally it is very hard to go back.

Anyway sorry for the depressing post, but I was happy to see I am not the only one with this fear. I mean I am sad that others have come to this conclusion as well, as it is very difficult to live with. But i feel a bit less alone.

I'm still suffering from this too, though not as bad because I know it's just intrusive thoughts now. I get overwhelmed by the enormity of existence. And the fact I exist. Someone times I get a jolting feeling when I remember that I exist. Isn't that wierd? In panic attacks it all gets overwhelming and my mind seems to spread over the whole of existence looking for answers. Then, mixed with a cocktail of derealization and dizziness it's all too much. I don't get why everyone doesn't think this way when I'm having the thoughts.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Isn't it quite hard to be an atheist in America SWGRL90?

I've always had the impression atheists are not looked on kindly in America?
    We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.

im the same i have this death anxiety it scares the hell out of me ever since my Grandad died when i was a little girl i developed the fear of dying and it has gotten worse over the last few years not a day goes by were im not anxious about death i hate it i know if i didnt fear it so much i wouldnt have panic and anxiety this bad, i hope theres an afterlife where we can meet up with are loved ones again but i hate the thought of not existing no more wish i could get rid of these horrible scary thoughts

I have been dealing with all the same stuff as mentioned on here. And I'm an atheist too :-)
    What frustrates me the most is that I can't seem to turn it around and use it as a positive thing: if I know i'm going to die, why can't I just stop worrying about everything and just enjoy the moment I am in!!
    So in a way the death anxiety gives me anxiety about why I can't get rid of my anxiety, ugh ;-)

Hey there. I have these thoughts a lot too, but as someone else mentioned, I try to push it out because it does freak me out, to the point that I start hyperventilating.
    It starts when I start thinking about age, like I am almost 35, and I know to a lot of people say that's young, but then I start estimating how long I may have left. I am terrified of getting old, so frightened of being old that I panic over the thoughts. Then the thoughts gradually have me thinking about my death and that I definately can't deal with. I think it's the fear of the un-known, There are so many different views and myths about what happens when we die, it can make me very confused.
    You are not alone on this, lots of people feel this way from time to time. I'm affraid I can't help much with this but I'm glad there are lots of others who can offer you some advice. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Kez xx

Wow, it is comforting to know I am not the only one with these thoughts. Nobody I explain it to seems to get it. I explained it to my fiance and he said that it sounds like a very sad way to live and wished I didn't have to think these thoughts. I said - you and me both.

To answer the question about atheism, I have found that the way others view atheism in my experience depends on the generation. I am 23 years old, and find a lot of people in my generation are more accepting of it. But I work with elderly people, and find that often times both middle-aged people and elderly people seem more critical of atheism ... it's not like I am gothic or anti-god or anything, simply don't believe and can't anymore. I wish I could honestly. I know we have people of all ages here and I don't mean to generalize that certain age groups hate atheism, so I hope nobody takes it that way. I just have noticed it being more accepted in younger generations at least around where I live.

I have been told by people that people my age claim to be atheists are just lazy spiritually, but that is definitely not the case. I have probably worked harder than a lot of people in analyzing what I believe and how I feel, it's been quite a frustrating journey and quite the opposite of lazy, so sometimes that bothers me.

I don't mind what anybody believes or doesn't believe... whatever makes you happy/comfortable and doesn't hurt others, go for it.

Had to laugh.

I am predominantly Buddhist. That is very spiritual belief system. I feel that before this when I was predominantly Christian I would just believe Christianity and nothing else. In hindsight that was incredibly lazy of me. Just accept my countries main religion. I then went to find and explore atheism and agnosticism and all the other beliefs that don't have a supernatural influence. Ignorance is not examining all the beliefs including science. I now feel much more comfortable in believing that I am responsible for how I see the world and that only I can make myself happy. I have very strong moralistic views and care more for all living creatures I don't feel a need to feel superior to all other living creatures. Don't just believe what you know, explore don't be lazy and if you settle on Atheist beliefs then that's fine just ensure you examine all aspects of each so you can feel you are happy with what you believe.

Mee

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information