Thread: low blood sugar or??

low blood sugar or??

ok so i am going to post this kind of again and hopefully i am wording it right- i just need to really hear from other people who might be experiencing this before i start going down the doctor path again.
    idoes anyone feel just out of the blue (i do have pretty constant anxiety but fluctuates in severity) just icky like lightheaded, stomachache, weak and faint. not even when you are feeling that anxious. it will last a couple hours and just feels awful like low blood sugar or something. eating does help but it still takes a couple hours for the sick feeling to go away. i swear there is something really wrong and my body is doing something weird with glucose and insuling but my doc just looks at labs and says everything is fine. this has been happening at least once a day and after the low blood sugar feeling is over i usually have a mild migraine type headache!!

i just cannot believe anxiety would do this!!

Re: low blood sugar or??

Could it be that you just have low blood sugar at these moments? If your doctor has specifically tested you for problems that might cause or be related to hypoglycemia then you can be pretty confident that there is nothing other than temporary low blood sugar and anxiety going on. What kind of things have you eaten beforehand, and how long before?

It could be low blood sugar as you can get it without there being diabetes present, which is probably why your doc isnt too bothered. Most people get blood sugar highs and lows, its normal really, depending on what your food and lifestyle is. You must have read diets in the magazines where they always recomend certain food to keep your blood sugar steady? It depends on how quickly your body uses up its energy and needs more, and whether you eat alot of junk food.

Its true also that people with higher anx levels will suffer from low blood sugar episodes because anxiety saps energy levels quicker. As can hormone imbalances before a period or around the menopause.

I wouldnt worry about it, you're not ill you just need to watch your diet. Dont go for long periods without food...little and often is best, and try to eat slow release energy foods. My daughter and one of my sons gets this too and they carry lucozade or isotonic drinks/ lozenges or a cereal bar (not a mars bar ok!) and this helps if they start to feel the weakness/shakiness coming on. You'll probably find that reducing the anx will make these episodes less, although as ive said everyone gets them.

Hope this helps anyway
    Cathy xxx

Hiia
    I get this feeling and i don't think it is low blood sugar, cos i get it when I'm anxious. Sometimes it seems to come for no reason but the i realise I was quite anxious before it happened. It is an awful feeling I know, hope you feel better soon
    Amy
    x

Hi Bluewoman, yes I have exactly all the same symptoms as you today, I always thought there was something wrong with my sugar levels so bought a blood testing machine, but my levels are always normal when I check them. Thank you to Cathy V for the information on sugar levels, it set my mind at rest as I didn't know that the levels would vary that much to affect you.
    I will do as your children do and carry an Isotronic drink with me.

Yes Bluewoman I do get the headache after the sugar thing, in fact it is taking its time to go away today, but I am extra stressed as I have to phone the Doctors tomorrow about a breast problem . Hope it helps to know you are not the only one. xx

thanks everyone i am starting to look into hypoglycemia without being diabetic and it is amazing how many stories there are about this. there is a really good one on this website under members stories. Ddcoo i hope you breast problem turns out ok.... oh what do your headaches feel like when you get them if you do not mind my asking??

Hi again Bluewoman, my headache today is as if someone is sitting on top of my head, so maybe its not the same as yours if yours is like a migraine, but I guess everyone is different, but the symptoms are the same. I used to wonder why I got sessions of feeling sick and shakey, and this post has been so useful to me, so I thank you and all the others. Thank you too for your kind comments about my Drs visit tomorrow, I am not looking forward to it, but its best to be safe than sorry. Lets hope that the new information you get will help you a lot xx

Thread Information