Thread: Worried about Ovarian cancer- please reassure!

Worried about Ovarian cancer- please reassure!

Have been suffering owith aching & bloating in my stomach/pelvic area, have also got (really sorry) bad wind! Have been back to my doc who is very patient & understanding & he has increased my prozac to 40mg a day. He says that I've had full bloodwork & examination & he is sure it's aniexty related & some IBS.Went back to work feeling as reassured as a HA sufferer can, was explaining to a work colleague who said ooh that had happened to a friend of hers & it wasn't IBS but OC! Am now in full panic mode, my lovely understanding husband really goes through the mill when I'm like this, going go back to my poor docs on Monday but wanted some reassurance!! Just want to be normal again. Am worried that my 4 year old is going to be affected by all this. Please advise xx

Re: Worried about Ovarian cancer- please reassure!

Hi Pandagirl - Don't listen to your to your work colleague, listen to your doctor. Your work colleague made a casual comment (rather unhelpful, in my opinion, why would you say that to someone?) in passing about a friend of hers who had some similar symptoms to you and who also had ovarian cancer. For all you and your colleague know she could have had IBS as well. Or your colleague might have got the symptoms wrong or misunderstood them. Or anything really. Symptoms by themselves can be attributed to lots of different causes. Just look what happens when you type symptoms into Google.

Whereas your doctor, who is medically trained, has actually given you physical examination and full bloodwork and diagnosed anxiety and IBS.

Do you believe your doctor or your colleague's off-the-cuff remark? You know which one is right . Relax, you'll be fine. Give your son and lovely hubby a cuddle. And maybe explain to your colleague why comments like that are not helpful!

LeeBee is totally right,

Doctors orders first, second hand gossip second and taken with a pinch of salt.

Sounds like IBS,

Be easy,

CONS

William Butler Yeats

MY STORY: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42149

+However, you could explain your fears, as I did to my doc, who has referred me for an inhouse ultrasound scan of my ovaries - very quick and painless and provides reassurance. Apparenlty the symptoms you describe tend to be very late in OC and is usually in post menopausal women.

If your doc ran tests then hopefullu they would have run the blood test (CA-125) for OC, my husbands Aunt has OC and she found it because she felt a lump and it was a rather big lump, and they then ran full blood, one of which was the blood test to identfiy oc, can you not ask your doc if that test was included to put your mind at rest?

Happy to say that a year and a half onwards she is still doing great.

But to be honest I wouldn't listen to the remark from the colleauge, the symptoms for oc and IBS can be similar but you have been to see a doctor who know what to look out for. I know doctors are known to screw up but we have to place some faith in them. I would say if the problem persists maybe go back and talk to him about your fears.

Hope you feel better soon!

Take care,
    Jane
    Last edited by Janieb; 06-10-08 at 10:05.

I have had this one, had breakthrough bleeding as well so really was scared! turned out to be nothing though, but i do find that often my anxiety goes straight to my stomach and bowels! i find that my stomach often bloats and I have wind purely because i am anxious! try and trust your doctor, i'm sure everything will be fine.

Kathy

Thread Information