Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acid Reflux, Bloatedness, Terrified ...

Acid Reflux, Bloatedness, Terrified ...

Sorry guys, didn't mean to delete my thread ...

I have been suffering from acid reflux and bloatedness for the last two months and I'm certain the family stomach cancer has finally caught up with me. My GP gave me some Ranitidine to limit the amount of acid in my stomach and at first that seemed to help, but today after getting a letter from the hospital telling me I have to go for a Barium Swallow next Monday I have been absolutely terrified and the symptoms are really bad again tonight. I know my doctor thinks there is nothing sinister wrong and that my symptoms are due to stress and anxiety and is only sending me for the Barium Swallow to reassure me, but I can't turn off the panic and the physical symptoms are getting worse and worse. I'm alone and so afraid with nobody to turn to.

Re: Acid Reflux, Bloatedness, Terrified ...

Hi BNCfan

Loads of NMPers get acid reflux and the other symptoms you describe, as your doctor says, these can be caused by anxiety. Take a look at the Symptoms page to the left of the forum and you'll see the listed there. I don't have exactly the same symptoms but I do get an upset stomach with lots of gurgling and activity when I'm very anxious.

Try to be reassured by your doctor saying that it is probably anxiety... they would tell you if they thought there was a chance it could be something else. Any other reflux sufferers out there with some remedy suggestions?
    Last edited by LeeBee; 07-10-08 at 10:07.

I am on Lansoprazole for mine. Mine problem is a genetic one, my daughter suffers from it and my mother had a stomach ulcer. I have suffered with mine for many years. Sometimes I take bicarbonate soda in water which neutralises the acid.

I suffer acid reflux and IBS symptoms, as well as anxiety about it all (see my other post). I got put on Metoclopramide for the acid reflux, which seems to have helped a lot. It has a slightly sedative effect which I actually like, knocks my brain out a bit. My doctor said that things like Omeprazole and Lansoprazole just reduce the acid but don't actually stop reflux.

Hope the test is negative, I know exactly what you're going through.

I suffer from this to,but it's not as bad as it used to be.The more anxious you are the more it play's up.
    I had all the test's done,throat and bum and all was clear.
    I think because you have a history of cancer in your family you are worried all the time and making yourself more anxious.
    The test will put your mind at ease.

Thanks everyone for your reassurance. I get extreme bouts of free floating anxiety which can sometimes last for days about every ten years and they are so terrifying I seriously consider suicide, because life in that state isn't worth living. I've always suffered from panic attacks and phobias since I was a kid, but these bouts are something completely different. At the moment I am still worried about the Barium Swallow on Monday, but I'm not in the state I was in on Monday. Thanks again for the support. I'm really glad I found this site, it's fantastic.

hello everyone! i was very happy to find out about this site! i hope it will be useful to my problem. as far as the stomach problems, I can say that the two things go together. I've been using omeprazolum for 8 years, it helps but the right diet is really what makes the difference. but the anxiety has become so bad, that i dont know what to think. even on an empty stomach, i feel bloated and awful. anxiety and stomach problems go hand in hand it seems. i think i have agoraphobia, i cant stand on-line anymore at the shops, and i fell like im losing my balance as a walk. anyone feel the same?

Cool Re: Acid Reflux, Bloatedness, Terrified ...

wow i have never considerd suicide over acid reflux... and ive had it ever since i was a child i highly doubt you have cancer.... i have had panic attacks and anxiety and i have acid reflux and ibs... this is nothing thats going to kill you... i know it can be annoying but you need to calm down.. you dont have cancer.... jesus christ i still cant believe u consider suicide....
    you can control acid reflux.. being bloated sucks yeah but you will be fine

When you want it
    It goes away too fast
    Times u hate it
    It always seems to last

Malv, you probably haven't had to stand by and watch the entire maternal side of your family die from one kind of stomach cancer or another and find yourself completely alone at 33. I'm delighted acid reflux and other stomach problems don't scare you, but with my family's medical history they sure scare me.

Cool Re: Acid Reflux, Bloatedness, Terrified ...

but the doctor said you have Acid reflux.. im sure they can tell cancer from acid reflux my point is i dont think you need to worry.. you should calm down and have a cup of tea.

When you want it
    It goes away too fast
    Times u hate it
    It always seems to last

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information