Thread: New, unsure & very mixed up..

Red face New, unsure & very mixed up..

Ok here goes...
    Its my 2nd day on Citalopram & despite being prescribed to start on 20mg a day, after reading up on it i decided to ease myself into things gently & start on 10mg.
    So far, not so bad, i think..
    Luckily no nausea or dizziness & no headaches or bad tummy..
    Unfortunately though i am experiencing an increased desire to smoke! Arrgh, i hate it - been trying to cut down for months(the chronic anxiety, depression & eating disorder mean quitting is incomprehensible right now)
    Since taking my first half tablet yesterday all i want to do is light up - even after just putting one out! I just wondered if this was something anyone else had experienced or if it was just due to my temporary initial increase in anxiety after starting these tablets?

Oh & i have to say as a recovering Bullimic i am absolutely TERRIFIED about the 'weight gain' problem i keep reading about!!
    I have already put on 3stone 'recovering' & this has only added to the depression & anxiety! The thought that these tablets might actually make this worse is unbearable.
    Its like a vicious cirlce of wanting to get better but being scared in case i just go back to my old ways - i don't want to be a 'happy puker' with just 3 teeth left in my head, i mean i might feel up to 'going out/socializing' mentally but physically - forget it!
    So PLEASE if there are some people out there who have'nt put weight on or even (please god) LOST weight on Citalopram, let us know?
    I desperately want to give these a go after a total nightmare experience with prozac - only just coming to terms with the mess they left me in, turned me into a total emotionless zombie, disconnected with the real world & oblivious to dealing with everyday issues(bills,debts,letters,forms..)
    All of which are now only adding to my depression & anxiety!
    So now i'm starting Citalopram & can't tell you all how scared i am.
    I really don't want to be a fat homeless friendless zombie who has no idea whats going on anymore...

Only kidding - well, gotta try to make light of it, right?
    Think thats enough waffle for now - first time nerves, sorry
    Jo x

Re: New, unsure & very mixed up..

Hi..
    I've not personally been on any kind of medication, but as a "recovering" bulimic myself, i know how the weight gain could be scary...BUT...you need to rationalise this. Weight gain is possible, but does NOT effect everyone. I've reasearched this, a lot.

The majority of people on this med. actually lose their appetite and even if you put on a few pounds, once you are stablised on it, the weight will go.
    It will NEVER make you 'fat'...what is more important? Sound mental health and the possiblity of a lb extra weight...or not?

x

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

wishing you a warm nmp welcome

love milly xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Belle, thanks for the post..
    You hit the nail on the head - its all about being 'rational' which is what i'm hoping the citalopram will start to help with..
    But just gonna take it one day at a time - after decades of irrational thoughts, behaviour & mood swings, it may take a while lol.
    Jo

Thread Information