Thread: PTSD After Distressing Op

Red face PTSD After Distressing Op

Hi

I was diagnosed with PTSD two years ago. I had an ovarian cyst along with my ovary and fallopian tube removed in Nov 2005. I had to go back down to theatre the next day to have a blood transfusion due to internal bleeding. A year after the op I started suffering dizziness, depression and health anxiety. Two years on I am still taking Prozac and regulary having consultations with my GP who has been brilliant. My worst points were when I was convinced I had a brain tumour because of my dizziness, which turned out to be my anxiety. I have finally begun to feel so much better and more my old self. I never used to worry about my health up until that op and I am hoping I won`t have any more set backs. I am due to see my GP next month and I am wondering if I will be ready to gradually come off Prozac. Has anyone else got their life back to normal after a traumatic operation?

PF xx

Re: PTSD After Distressing Op

Hi Purple Fish

I have no personal experience of PTSD, but had a kinda breakdown after having my daughter. I found the whole pregnancy and experience of becoming a parent, very traumatic. So I can safely say I did overcome a terrible time !

I think your post was really positive actually, and I reckon you have made major progress. Good for you, keep up the good work .

Maybe someone can relate more specifically, but wanted to say hi anyway.

Cheerio
    Julia xx

Hi Julia,

Thanks for your reply! I`m so glad you got over your terrible time! I`m pleased you thought my post was a positive one!

Take care
    Tanya
    x

Hi Purple fish, i have had a similar situation - i had an ectopic pregnancy rupture whilst on holiday in France and lost 2 litres of blood, it was pretty close as they had missed it and left me bleeding internally for 6 hours on a bed in a corridor with no one speaking english to me, I also lost a tube and also a much wanted baby. It has taken me about 6 weeks to get over the physical side of things, i got an arm infection where my iv's had been and then a chest/lung infection so i have been very run down. I started feeling anxious and nervy and then whilst out shopping with my 4 year old someone said something mean to me and i started crying and didn't stop for 45mins, then i developed twitching in my hands which I have had in the past but been to see a consultant who said it wasn't anything to worry about,anyway I have convinced myself I have MS or worse and am developing symptoms left right and centre, been to the docs and been given diazepam and another anti-anxiety med for PTSD which I haven't taken yet as I am at the stage that I'm worried about taking tablets and not trusting my GP who is fab. I have suffered with anxiety throughout my teens and onwards although it was controllable, now I am feeling bad and can't shake the - well it was under control so these symptoms can't be anxiety it has to be x, y or z.

Anyway - not that much of that helps you but i guess you can see i'm in a similar position,I think that the anxious person after a life threatening situation and traumatic surgery fails to see the positive in that we are still here and well all things considered but focuses on the what if's!

I hope you are feeling well and feel free to e-mail me if you want to chat x

Hey!

Thanks for the lovely reply! I`m sorry to hear about what you have been through but it is comforting to know that someone has been in a very similar situation - I was beginning to lose hope!
    I have accepted all the help I can get from my GP who has been great and really reassured me. I`m still taking the Prozac and he wants me to continue til after christmas. He will see about weaning me off in January. I am anxious about coming off them as they have helped me so much as I feel great! Although my anxiety at the moment is `how will I do without them`? and `what if I can`t cope without them?` I need to find an inner strength and it`s those that are close to me which are helping me to do that.
    This site has been fantastic too!

Stay in touch

Tanya xx

Thread Information