Thread: Help. Getting myself worked up.

Help. Getting myself worked up.

I just realised that my friends are going to the Glastonbury festival in a couple of weeks.
    I'm not going so it means that I will be in Bristol on my own for at least 4 days.
    Two of my friends aren't going so I have them but my closest ones (my "safe people") are going. When I thought about it made me feel really sick and I instantly tensed up. I know I have to just carry on as usual and it won't be as bad as I think. I just hate being on my own at the moment as I think I need people with me incase I go into a panic and can't stop.

Hi Alton,
    I'm exactly like you - used to go mental if my boyfriend left me alone for even half an hour. I found the only way to deal with it was to build up a little routine of distractions for myself, however basic. you know, like "10-11am: make the bed, get dressed, watch tv. 11-12am: log on to no more panic. 12-1am: make lunch and read paper." and so on. i would tell myself that i could have as many panic attacks as i wanted, once i'd done everything on my list.
    have you got broadband at home? it helps to feel connected, that help is at the end of a telephone or an email or whatever.
    i found relaxation exercises really helped me - when you are that wound up and tense, you are more likely to have a panic attack. have you got a relaxation tape that you could do every day while your friends are away?
    logging on here in times of need has always helped me - especially in chat, there is always someone who can talk you down.
    take care,
    henri x

hi Alton,

I also hate being alone. Distraction is definitely the key to feeling ok and forgetting to panic. Keep yourself as busy as possible. I'm sure the two friends that are staying will keep you company and take care of you so to speak. These times are never as bad as you think they are going to be..

Sarah

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Hi Alton,
    Sorry you are feeling stressed right now, what i would suggest is to enlist the help of your remaining friends, maybe just tell them briefly what's happening, just a back-up for you. perhaps you could invite them over to you, if that is best for you, people can be very understanding if they know what's going on? You are so very right, it will not be no where near as bad as you think, that's typical of 'us' anxiety sufferers to think the worse, take care and keep in touch.

I agree with Henri - for the time you are on your own break it down into smaller chunks. I used to say to myself 'right I'll have a panic attack once I've finished such a such chores'. I thought to myself even if do have a panic and have to call someone I'll at least have a nice tidy house to do it in, lol.
    Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

I'm sorry but have to agree with the advise everyone else has given.
    Have you got any hobby you can distract yourself with at all. Maybe that could help.
    I was like you and hated being on my own, it gets better though.
    It's the otherway round now, can't wait to have time on my own.
    Hope this helps. Let us know how you got on though. You'll be surprised of what you can achieve.

with good wishes

Zena

Alton

If you get really bad then pop in chat and one of us will probably be there to help you with the panic feeling.

Try to use this time whilst they are away to see how you can cope without them and maybe you will do better than you imagined you would.

Distraction is the key - you may not even panic but if you start feeling panicky then start doing something to distract your mind.

I am sure we can get you through it.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Thread Information