Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Day-Reduced to tears by Consultant -UPDATED

Bad Day-Reduced to tears by Consultant -UPDATED

HI all,

Not posted on here lately as ive had a really good few days with so many more positive thoughts than negatives...untill today.

Ive been having tests at the hospital for dizzyness - had an MRI waiting for results, and an ultrasound showed that I have thyroid cysts....the ENT consulatnt also referd me to the neurologist in October, when I was told the wait would be 17 weeks. I called this week to chase it up and they fitted me in today with a Proffessor.

I woke feeling anxious and panicy as I always do with the hospital, my mum and dad came over to take me, and the waiting room was practically empty, so it was all helping with calming me down.

I saw the consultant, along with a nurse and a student doctor. As soon as I went in there he started bombaring me with questions, Id start to answer then hed but in again and keep going and getting me really flustered and making me feel really stupid.

I mentioned that I was also suffering with depresion / anxiety and his response to this was ' What - because of you Boyfriend?' - Where did that come from?? I said of course not! he then started saying well why are you depressed, and I just said I couldnt help it and wasnt sure of why Im like it - he just looked really sceptical. He went on to ask me where I worked, so I told him my doc has signed me off at the mo because of the depression . anxiety and he condesendingly asked me 'Well what do you do all day'. I had to fight back the tears. He was so condecedning, patronising and obiously had no understanding of mental illnesses. Making out that it was my fault and I should buck up out of it (Trust me - I think anyone with depression would lOVE to do this). He was trying to make me justify why i was suffering with depression & anxiety. It felt like the third Degree.

I think he just saw me as a lay about wanting attention - I dont think so.

He then asked me 'Have you ever done anything stupid to try and take you life'.... :( very tactfully put!

Everything he said was either sarcastic or disbelieving of me - He was making me justify everything as was constantly doubting what I was saying and had the nerve to say 'Well, what a story' at the end!

He then ordered me into the ajoining room to strip to my underwear with no explaination of what the hell was gonna happen.

the nurse went through and i asked here, and i basically had to wear a stupid gown top thing and have my reflexes tested.

His conclusion was migranes - and he'd write to my doctor. I pushed him (not litterally!) and sai that I was fed up of the headached (im having to take parecetamol every morning for the past few years) so he wrote a prescription there and then for me.

As soon as I got out and saw my mum I just burst into tears.

I felt so low. I was made to feel stupid and like a kid - I cant help having depression or anxiety - Im slowly getting better, but hes just made me feel so pathetic & worthless.

Im due to see my phsychiatrist on monday and my boyfs told me to speak to her about whats happened so she can help me work throgh it and not dwell on it.

I was in tears for a few hours, but am feeling a bit better now. Just drained.

I just didnt realise how ignornat some people in the medicall profession were.

Im sorry this post is long, I just had to get it all out.

Tatty B xx

oh my god im so sorry you had to go thought that some docters just think there gods and dont care about the pepole like us some of them think we are just putting it on to get an easy life

stevie boy

Put it behind you, he shouldn't be allowed to diagnose people the heartless sod! It is really hard to find a good doc but do as your boyf says and talk it thru on Monday. You should really treat yourself this weekend to a big pampering session, get some nice ice cream, do your hair, give yourself a manicure, anything that makes you feel happier or relaxed. We've all been thru difficult times so you've come to the right place to share. Hope you feel better over the weekend and just try to relax, remember you've got your parents and boyf there to support you. Good luck, rois [8D]

"You die if you worry and you die if you don't"

aaawww Tatty so sorry to hear about your awful experience. Some of these people really shouldn't be allowed to work with people who have anxiety and depression. You just remember that he doesn't know you at all and has no idea about your problems. Have a nice relaxing weekend and do something to cheer you up..

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Yes Tatty and youve got us on here, he obviously does not have any knowledge of mental illness or suffered himself.
    Try to put it behind you especially over the weekend, like Rois said go out and spoil yourself.Discuss it on Monday.
    If you are not happy with the outcome ask for a second opinion.
    i had an incident about 5 years ago when I was given some very serious news about myself, I had it told in a real bad way, I waited and dwellled on in for about a month and then asked for a second opinion. Although the outcome of the tests were still as serious I was told in a completely different way, a lot of how you come out feeling is the way these people talk to you.
    Dont take any notice . go and have a chocky bar, take care Love Alexis,xx

Thanks for your support guys.

It helped getting it off my chest...

Ive got a couple of girl mates coming over in a little while so we're gonna have a gossip, get a chinese and watch BB

I keep going over what he said to me, But im trying now to be strong and realise that Im bigger than that to let him get to me...I hope anyway!

My phsychiatrist appointment has come at the right time so i can off load it when I see her, and maybe she'll help me not to dwell on it.

Thanks for your support once again guys.

Tatty B xx

Hope you have a great evening with your mates Tatty

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Thanks Sarah Hun

Tatty B xx

Thought you were having a good evening, watching bb??? lol only joking, i like to watch it too. Enjoy tonight, relax, well done. Love Alexis,x

[:O] Alexis!!!!!

You have to love Big Brother!!

Ok...yes im probably sad! But my boyf is now hooked on it too...although i'm not sure for which reason!! Lol

Tatty B xx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information