Thread: My starting experince on Citalopram

My starting experince on Citalopram

Hi to all
    I recently was prescribed citalopram by my doctor and like so many of you here I was extremely anxious about the possible side effects. I can't take sinutabs as they make me very nauseaus (an everyday sinus remedy), l can't take the contraceptive pill as l get terrible headaches and mood swings and it certainly didn't aid libido!! Citalpram......... No side effects. Yes, l could feel that there was something in my system, but you can take a glass of wine and feel a little something going on! l started on 10mg and have now upped to 20mg on my second wk; had a slight headache but nothing else. I do think we need to be rational about medication and try not to worry too much. I really believe we can cause our own side effects by being over anxious about taking them. l do appreciate that some people may be more effected than others, but l also think it's useful to put it into scale; there are thousands of people prescribed these meds everyday and only a relative few comments. A lot of those comments are also very positive about the ultimate results.
    l hope this helps by trying to offer a balanced view.

Re: My starting experince on Citalopram

Thanks for your post I have just started taking 10mg per day, just started today! Nice to see your post at the top and maybe I won't read any more just now
    Casey xx

Hi casey
    Hope all goes well with you today.

I have just taken my first one .. took me an age to pluck up the courage

Well here goes it lol

Hi
    It took me a little while to pluck up the courage to take them as well. My doc prescribed me 20mg but reading all the posts here about the effects of them, decided to cut them in half and start with 10mg. I've now upped to 20mg after a week, so that when l have my next appt at the GP l'll be on the dose she originally gave to me. My heart was a little racy last night in bed. Brought on by my own worries! Thinking of lots of other trivial things really helped me to relax and the palpitations went away as quickly as they came.

HI
    i started on citalopram (10mg) 7 ish weeks ago, after 3 weeks they seemed to be starting to work (light at the end of the tunnel anyone) but then last monday i seemed to take a step back, anxiety & loss of apetite (mainly in the morn). been to docs today and upped to 20mg so hopefully this will put things back on an even keel again.
    sometimes think the biggest enemy is myself, thinking 'oh no' what if these dont work, & before i know it i'm filledwith adrenaline (tingly arms hot feeling) again.i know they will work 10mg did so 20 will start to improve things again.

Quote Originally Posted by ditsy View Post
    Hi
    It took me a little while to pluck up the courage to take them as well. My doc prescribed me 20mg but reading all the posts here about the effects of them, decided to cut them in half and start with 10mg. I've now upped to 20mg after a week, so that when l have my next appt at the GP l'll be on the dose she originally gave to me. My heart was a little racy last night in bed. Brought on by my own worries! Thinking of lots of other trivial things really helped me to relax and the palpitations went away as quickly as they came.
    So your side effects weren't too bad on 10 then, interesting

Smile Re: My starting experince on Citalopram

i went to 20mg made me sick n anxious but on 10mg am FANTASTIC IT TAKES ABout 4 weeks to really kick in.10 mg no side effects or sickness yipeee. AM STAYING ON 10MG YAYYA

so 10 mg makes a big difference pebbles... how did you pluck up the courage to take that 10 mg after your experience with the 20

I take 40 mgs and these tablets have greatly deminished my depression.
    I really can't remember if I had any bad effects. I was suicidal before I started to take them and suffering from anxiety. The suicidal thoughts did not go until the tablet started to work. I much prefer SSRI's to the old type ant-depressants.

Sheena

Thread Information