Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gag reflex

gag reflex

Hi all, for a few days now I have been noticing when I have my toast on a morning, I have been gagging whilst eating, never actually throwing up but 'cos I am gagging I start to feel sick. I am not sure if it's the food or I am kinda making myself do it, even though I don't want to, if that makes sense at all. But this morning, when I was brushing my teeth I had an urge to gag so I did & then was doing it whilst in shower & I had even eaten then. I never get the urge to do it when having a snack or lunch or tea. Only breakie & maybe if I have rice pudding for after my tea on a night. I don't have a phobia of being sick but afraid I shall develop one from doing this. Anyone else had it?

Re: gag reflex

Hiya hun ..I get this all the time ..but only in a morning I never get it when I eat my dinner etc .

I never feel sick then go 2 eat my breakfast and gagg..also when brushing my teeth ....sometimes its mild but sometimes it carrys on after for about 15 mins .I havent a clue why this happens so would also be interested to see if others have the same and why we have it x

hgs m8 x

I am always looking outside myself for strength and confidence ,but it comes from within .It's there all the time x

yep I cannot eat in the morning, it's so bad i can only have dentists appointments after luch time!
    i will even bring up my morning tea, sometimes lots of wind in your belly can make you gag,
    i guess just eat soft food or eat a bit later on, oh yea and it is normal x

Hi There, yes I get this every time i go through one of my anxiety periods. Wake up in the morning and start gagging and reaching, am never actually sick though, been going on for at least the last 10 years. My explanation for it is that all the tension and adreneline build up in you overnight and by the morning your body needs to release it and this is its way, also i find it worse if i've woken really early and i'm just laying there stewing. Hope this helps.

This didn't coincide with the start of "I'm a celebrity" did it?

haha, Jaco, yes very funny. lmao.

IVE BEEN RETCHING FOR ENGLAND THE PAST FEW WEEKS,IT HAPPENS IN THE MORNING AND IS ANXIETY RELATED.IF IM HAVING A BAD ATTACK IT GOES ON FOR AGES !CLEANING MY TEETH STARTS IT OFF TOO.BEEN GETTING BETTER THE LAST FEW DAY THO,BUT MY PILLS HAVE REDUCED MY ANXIETY SO HOPEFULLY IT WONT GET WORSE AGAIN,[SO EMBARASSING] SUE

I just had to reply to this post because I honestly thought it was only me it was happening to in a morning. It can happen when i first wake up or when i get out of bed and while I am brushing my teeth. It doesnt happen every morning but only when my anxiety is high which it is at the moment. Glad I am not alone with this.
    love Mags xxxxx

I had this 7 yrs ago -- it came when i got the lump in the throat thing (Globus) it was awful my throat would get so tight i would start gaging. i lost nearly 2st in weight as well .. I was always afraid it would happen while i was out shopping or something , but thank goodness it never did, i was always at home.. I hated it-- and it lasted for over a year. I had all sorts of tests and everything came back ok . i found that chewing gum used to help . Then gradually it just left me.. But it has been replaced by chest pain now , don't know which was the worst, co now i think there i something the matter with my heart.. You cant win can you???

I get this too. I had it really bad last year when my anxiety was at it's worst ever, but generally I get a mild attacl of this every day. It usually happens when I'm eating my breakfast though it has happened when I'm brushing my teeth too. It usually happens when I think about it. If I just sit there stuffing the toast or cereal down without thinking I am ok. But the minute I think about it it starts. I have had it when eating my tea but that was last year when I was really nervous and panicky.

Try eating little and often and not thinking about it which is hard to do. Whatever I try not to think about usually ends up spinning round and round my head like an annoying tune lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information