Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can anyone relate? (probably anyone who has suffered depersonalisation)

Re: Can anyone relate? (probably anyone who has suffered depersonalisation)

Hi there, I have just tried to post a reply only the site wouldnt let me! So here I am back again. I know exactly how you all feel with DP as I have been troubled with it for 2.5 years following a breakdown in July 2006! It is very very frightening and I have had some awful times with it. Plus no-one here understands so I have felt so alone. However I am just starting to be less scared with it and am doing most things now. Like walking round Chester with my family or round Ormskirk with my friend yesterday. I did feel unreal on both occasions but just told myself, "So what, it doesnt matter, nothing bad will happen" and it didnt. But 2.5 years seems a long time to be in this state. Has anyone driven with DP? I wouldnt even get in a car for a year after the break down (had anxiety attacks in the car) but then I made myself drive locally, then 10 miles or so. Then finally I drove the 55 miles to my parents a couple of weeks ago. It was the first time in those 2.5 years that I did it. I felt in a DP state then but not too bad or I wouldnt have attempted the drive. Hubby and kids were with me at the time - I dont know if I am ready to tackle the drive alone yet though.
    I agree with what Dotcom says above that it gets less scary as you get used to it and accept it. Anyone here seen the anxietynomore website? It has a good report about DP. The address is www.anxietynomore.co.uk

Best Wishes
    Shirley

Hi all, I have now been down town again and felt in a DP state when I got there. But I parked up the car and walked round and the more I got into what I was doing - looking for Xmas presents - and the less I focussed on the unreality, the better I felt. The DP got less. I bumped into mum in law and was able to have a cuppa and a sarnie in Woolies with her. I would not have done that a while back for fear of "giving myself away" and having her see me in a bad state. As I said earlier, I have been troubled with this for a couple of years now. And its not the first time either!! I have had 4 breakdowns in 30 years!!! So I know how to cope. But this has outstayed its welcome this time! But I feel that as long as I keep getting out and about and doing things, then I must be on the right track, especially as I am just losing the fear of the DP a bit, now. Oh yes, and I asked about the driving before didnt I? Anyone here drive with DP?

Shirley
    x x x

Cheeky 220 you've summed up exactly what i feel like. Thank you so much or posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeky220 View Post
    I feel like i have no concept of day and time and that i cant see anything in the future is this part of DP at all?? scares the living daylights out of me.:(
    I have had it so bad that I also had lost the concept of time, didnt know what day it was, whether I had fed the kids or not, 5 minutes ago. It was really bad and very scarey. I can also tell you, that once I went on meds and calmed right down, it didnt all go away, but it was far less severe, it is nothing compared to what it was before. I can also tell you that when I had it as bad as I had it sounds like your experiencing the same level of intensity , I had worked myself into such a state of fear and panic that it was like I was having a constant panic attack. Do you know what is frightening you so much? What is stressing you out so much?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information