Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citalopram.

Citalopram.

I feel I need something to keep my health anxiety under control. My doctor gave me 14 diazapam tablets a few weeks ago and I think I've got three left. Sometimes I really feel I need them and this last couple of days I have felt I needed them. I have acid reflux and I take omeprazole tablets for it although even though I take one every morning I still feel I am getting the acid. I have had a weird soreness under my ribs and in my back which I was absolutely worried sick about yesterday. It felt worse when I was sat in a chair than when I lay down. It's not really pain but more a soreness. My appetite always goes when I am anxious and I don't suppose this helps. I do feel a bit better today and I am going to try and stop thinking about horrible things it could be which isn't easy.

I just wanted to know if citalopram helps you to stop feeling anxious because I know anxiety makes little pains into bigger pains. Is citalopram an antidepressant?

I have a doctors appointment for next Thursday so I just wanted to know if its worth asking her if she can put me on these or if anybody can suggest anything better please do.

Re: Citalopram.

I started taking 20mg of citalopram on Monday.
    I was worried sick about taking them.
    I certainly havent had the horrible side effects that can happen with this antidepressant. I guess im really lucky.
    I dont feel life and soul of the party yet but I do feel much calmer.
    Whether thats physcological or not I dont know. But one thing I do know is that I feel less anxious and to be honest after the 3 weeks previous id had this has been a blessing.
    Please feel free to pm me and maybe we can help each other.
    Best of luck.

Laugh and the world laughs with you , cry and ? .....
    you need a bog roll. lol

Thanks so much Lynn. It's awful this anxiety isn't it because last week I really thought I had beat it and felt so much better but then I got these funny pains and I was back to square one again. I haven't had any tests except blood tests which were okay but I tested positive for the helibactor pyroli (sorry can't think how to spell it. ) I had antibiotics which were meant to wipe it out but don't think they did a thing to be honest because I have still got the acid.
    I wonder if you can be anxious without knowing it because last Monday my 16 year old daughter was going on a trip to Euro Disney with college and they were going by coach which took about 7 hours to get to Dover and then they had to cross on the ferry and then more travelling when they got off the ferry and I always worry myself silly when one of my kids is travelling somewhere.
    Do you suffer with health anxiety too Lynn?

Hi jane,
    I never suffered with health anxiety until I started with panic attacks.
    Although I never go running the docs all the time cus im afraid of looking like an hypochondriac.
    Ive always as my mum used to put it "lived on my nerves".
    I worry about anything and everything and I dont think nothing will ever change that cus thats just the way I am.
    To go the docs and admit I couldnt cope was like admitting im a complete failure.
    I was sooo anti tablet taking.
    But I was really fed up of living life like I was on the worlds scariest roller coaster ride since I started with panic attacks over 3 years ago and was desperate to get off.
    I needed something to ease my constant anxiety.
    So many people turn to alcohol to calm their nerves and im afraid I had started do the same.
    I hope this has helped.

you need a bog roll. lol

Yes that's what I'm scared of - looking like an hypochondriac. I've never been one for going to the doctors much and before this I think the last time I went was about 5 years ago when my mum was very ill in hospital and I was scared that she would die because she died and they brought her back again but said they wouldn't resusitate if she went again. I got a lump in my throat which I convinced myself was the cancer that John Thaw died of and went to the doctors but she convinced me that I was okay after a good feel around and gave me some diazapam and she thought it was the stress of my mum that had done this and I was fine after. I do worry about a lot of things though now I think about it.

I must admit that I also turned to alcohol to calm me. It got an habit at night just having a glass of wine watching the tv or whilst I was on the internet and soon I found I was finishing the whole bottle without realising so I have now cut back and just have wine at weekends instead of every night like I was having.

Hi
    I was prescribed Citalapram for anxiety. This year has been a particularly stressfull time in my life and l started to get physical systems due to the amount of pressure l was under. I've been on the meds now for 5 wks and they have helped. My head has slowed down and l feel more optimistic. For me, they seem to have the same calming effect as diazapam. I was lucky that l didn't have any nasty side effects. Although it does take me much longer to get to sleep and it's affected my taste buds slightly.

Good luck
    xx

Thanks Ditsy, I am definitely going to ask my doctor if I can try some because I can't go on like this thinking horrible things all the time, its ruining my life and my families lives.

Snap jan,
    my anxiety was tearing my family apart.
    I do hope you get the help you need.
    Private message me if it helps.
    But please let me know how you get on.
    Best of luck

you need a bog roll. lol

Hi
    It's best to get yourself better now than letting these negative feelings take over. I've never been on Ad before. Had the odd diazapam as l had a fear of flying and they helped a little for that. So when my life went pear shaped and l felt very stressed, l would take a diazapam every now and then. In the end the GP recommended Citalopram as she said it was very simillar, without the addictiveness. It really has helped me and l would never suffer in silence again.

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Primark View Post
    Snap jan,
    my anxiety was tearing my family apart.
    I do hope you get the help you need.
    Private message me if it helps.
    But please let me know how you get on.
    Best of luck
    Well my two teenagers are in their rooms most of the time so they are oblivious to the fact that I am like this but I worry in case it affects my seven year old girl because she picks up on everything and I don't want to upset her. I think most of my anxiety is built around her because she is very close to me and I keep imagining that I might get cancer of something or other and it will be too late to do anything and it would break my heart to leave her. My o/h fortunately is very understanding although I don't think he can fully understand why I feel like I do but he does try.

Just wanted to say thankyou Granny Primark for being so lovely and understanding. {{{hugs}}}
    Last edited by Jan63; 29-11-08 at 18:54.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information