Thread: Liver function test results.

Liver function test results.

Hi everyone,
    I haven't posted on here for a while! I have all sorts of symptoms- mainly dizziness but when i was at the doctors a while back, i told her i do drink quite a lot of alcohol and so she looked at my last blood test results which had showed a slightly raised ALT level (44), which i hadn't been told about when i rang to ask for my results. She said she would keep an eye on it and i've just got my next lot of results through- the ALT remained the same. I often get pains in my upper abdomen and back, aching and burning pains. I'm terrified that I have done some real damage to my liver, but when i rang up today the receptionist said the doctor had checked the results and OK'd them. I'm wondering why i'm always in such pain, and whether i could ahve something seriously wrong with my liver that they are just dismissing.

I just hoped somebody could help me I guess. :(

Em x

Re: Liver function test results.

Hi Em. I wouldnt worry about your liver results to be honest. I had a liver function test done this time last year and it was 106 (I was told the normal count is around 35 so yours isnt that much higher) I had another done a few weeks ago and it was 200! Ive also been drinking too much in the past, and out of the 2 drinks, red wine and vodka, i reckon the vodka was doing the damage because spirits are hard drinks. I say was, because since that test ive given up drinking, except for one small glass of wine with a meal and thats it. I go back for a repeat test in january.

Apart from anxiety, ive had no physical signs of liver damage though, no pains or sickness, just this high reading, which can also be caused by certain drugs too im told, and i dont just mean hard drugs, i mean over the counter drugs like ibuprofen etc, though not sure how many youd have to take to cause liver damage?

Anyway, I think with your function test reading being nearly normal its unlikely that your aches and pains are because of your liver. You may well have a kidney infection, is this possible do you think? This can cause pain in the back as well as the abdomen, and can be very uncomfortable.

Hope you feel better soon....xxxx

Thread Information