Thread: This bloody norovirus again

This bloody norovirus again

Just a (hopeful) query from the biggest emetophobe out there... my local hospital closed three wards due to the norovirus a fortnight ago - now they've reopened two of them and there's only one closed. Does this mean the outbreak has peaked, or am I clutching at straws?! xxx

Re: This bloody norovirus again

Hiya Samira

I share your fears of noro as i too am severe emetophobic. It's impossible to say if it's peaked at the mo - every hospital is different. The one where i work has wards opening and closing all the time at the moment because of the noro - it's a total nightmare for me.

I wish I had words of comfort or a solution - as you will see from my recent thread I am struggling like mad with it.

Sending hugs,

Ellie
    xx

I heard on the news today that it won't peak until January - February. I wouldn't worry too much, there is more flu around this year and that lasts a hell of a lot longer and is more dangerous than a bout the sickness. I'm scared of the flu too, the last twice i had it i was out of action for 10 days, then another 3 months with a chest infection. Scary stuff.

x

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

I would look on the positive side of things and hope that it means theyve got rid of it!!! im completely paranoid about it too and have taken to wearing latex gloves on the tube! i have had sooo many funny looks! but id rather be safe! xxx

Belle, I know you're right about the flu being worse in some ways, but that is the thing with a phobia - I have such an extreme fear of being sick (I refuse to accept that it is irrational, but I will accept that it is extreme and disproportionate!) that I would do pretty much anything to avoid it. I've had my fair share of illnesses and medical conditions, including a very major operation last year, but this thing still has a unique terror for me.

I can completely understand. I would rather stab hot pokers in my eyes than puke, but this time of the year, its ALWAYS about and personally i have other things that are happening in the here and now to worry about, rather than what "could" happen. Winter lasts a long time, i can be stressed out for all those months.

I get extremely panicky when i hear of someone i know or as i said before, at my sons school has had it, i won't sleep at all during those times....but in the meantime, i just keep my hands clean and don't get too close to anyone!!!!!!

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

I know. The funny thing is that I don't think I have ever been sick in the winter, apart from when I was a little kid. The last two times I have actually been sick (in 1999 and 2001, so a while ago!) it was the middle of June! Not that I want to tempt fate or anything!!
    Just wondering, do you actually know anyone that has had it this year? I have to say that despite all the lurid headlines everyone around me seems fine (touch wood again). My boyfriend's stepson had a sickness bug in September, which threw me into a horrible panic for a week or so, but other than that I have to say that, looking at things objectively, maybe it is all a bit of an exaggeration. xx

Hi all,
    I'm with you guys - genuinely terrified of this. I woke up yesterday convinced I had it - I didn't - and cancelled meeting up with a friend who I hadn't seen in 3 years and who lives in Germany most of the year. I felt SO guilty but just told him that I was really ill and couldn't make it. He was very understanding, but I felt awful because I was panicking like mad (I still am!!!!) and guilty because I really wanted to meet up with him!!

ARGH! I HATE the way this emetaphobia affects our lives - especially at times like this when all the news talks about is the credit crunch and that we are approaching an epidemic of flu!!!! It really doesn't help does it?!

Samira - I had the norovirus last year, but it lasted exactly a few hours. I had (ahem) diahorrea once and was (ahem) sick once and that was it. I was so proud of myself for coping with it because I was at home entirely alone at the time, because everyone else had gone on holiday!!!!

Belle - can I just say I love your attitude to this subject. I am not scared of being sick - I am scared my boys may get it and be sick for Xmas and I have gone into panic mode for the last 2 weeks about it..

But I have read your comments on here and other places and find myself taking a big sigh and feeling a little calmer so thank you xxx

Thread Information