Thread: Dealing with OCD whilst pregnant

Dealing with OCD whilst pregnant

Hi - I have suffered with OCD and intrusive thoughts for 6 years now. I used to take Cipramil, only a very low dose, 10mg which helped immensley, however my husband and I decided to try for a baby so the doctor recommended I come off it because it is not known how safe it is to take it whilst pregnant. I am happy to say I am now 6 months pregnant however the intrusive thoughts have come back and are centered around my unborn baby boy which is obviously distressing for me. I keep thinking that I am going to harm him e.g. i will hit myself in the stomach to injure him or when he is born I will do something. A thought such as ' i dont want him' also pops into my head and it is so not true. I have spoken to my husaband about it but I dont want him to think I am a bad person so I dont always tell him everything. I am not a bad person, total opposite.

These thoughts as you can imagine is making me feel sick to the stomach however I am trying to fight it as I know what I am thinking is nonsense. I love my baby so much and he is not even here.

When I found out I was pregnant, I worried constantly about something happening but I think it was because I suffered a very early miscarriage the first month I got pregnant so I thought it would happen again. I wouldnt eat certain things and got paranoid that everything I did would cause him harm and now it is the opposite which is so frustrating.

Can anyone give me any tips

Wishing everyone a merry xmas

Re: Dealing with OCD whilst pregnant

whenever you start to feel anxious over your intrusive thoughts, you could try a breathing technique. youll depend on them when the baby comes, so they do get you through some pretty painful times. try to breath slowly through your stomach and your chest, about 4 seconds for breathing in and 6 seconds for breathing out. repeat for some time until the anxiety starts to fade

These are one of the most common type of thougts and obviously one of the most distressing it still is only a thought and something you would never act on I have had them all my childrens lives. And they are now 20 and 23 may peace come to you but rest assured they are only stupid thoughts that you can not control but you can ignore them and not attach danger to them. Also talk to your doctor and get put back on the ciprimil it wont matter now at this late stage. Or if you prefer the minute you give birth. God bless hun take care annd enjoyyour littel one you deserve it. XXXX merry christmas and a happy new year too

Hi there

I had bad anxiety and ocd throughout my pregnacies and i stayed on cipramil

thanks for all of your replies. I dont how I feel about taking cipramil again whilst pregnant, i think I will just worry I am causing my baby harm. I seem to be dealing with it okay at the mo. I do have good and bad days and it helps using these forums talking to other people in similar situations.

have you looked at motherisk.org? they have good drug info

even non OCD mamas worry when pregnant, have you joined a forum with other mothers and pregnant mamas? I can give you some names if you like, might help you worry less

Thanks = i will have a look at that website and yes, names would be good

cheers

Thread Information