Thread: Flu-like, Glands, and Throat Squeezing

Flu-like, Glands, and Throat Squeezing

Hey everyone,

Hope that you all had a merry Christmas. I did not. I apologize ahead of time for the long post but I'm scared . I had that lump feeling in my throat now for like a month and it had just finally gone away...along with a dull sore throat and dull earache that I had for the same time. Then on the night before Xmas Eve...I went to have my haircut. I came home and thought there was a hair in the back of my throat that I could feel so I went to the mirror and there was a white spot on my left side of my throat! I do not have tonsils so its not tonsil stones. I don't believe that its thrush because it doesn't wipe away. It looks like an ulcer/canker sore but doesn't hurt a bit. It definately just appeared suddenly because I looked the night before and thought it looked a little pink in the same area.

Anyway...then I started with this feeling like I'm being strangled. I don't know if its because my lymph nodes are all swollen or what. I think they are but it could be in my head I guess. Anyway..the strangulation feeling is extremely scary and ruined my entire holiday. Now its even travelling down into my chest...the squeezing. I'm sure its not a heart attack as I'm only 24 and it comes and goes and isn't there in the morning. Anxiety maybe? My mom wants me to see an endocrinologist because she thinks something may be wrong with my thyroid. Gee thanks, mom...tell the HA sufferer this on Xmas Day. Plus the net says thyroid could be the pressure in that area. I know, I shouldn't have googled.

But I've been keeping myself calm because I feel very flu-like especially yesterday and today. Full of body ache and sooo lethargic. So I'm trying to tell myself its all one big virus/illness. But then what illness? Mononucleosis? Strep throat? My throat doesn't hurt though! Just the spot and the strangulation feeling. But then I had some people say that you can have mono and not even know it. BASICALLY I'm frightened to death that I'm going to die because my trachea or throat is going to close up even though I've been this way for almost 3 days now.

Any advice greatly appreciated so that I can calm down. My birthday is on Monday and I want to feel good enough to celebrate that and the new year and not be terribly frightened like I was all Xmas Eve and Day :(

Unhappy Re: Flu-like, Glands, and Throat Squeezing

Hi all. I really need some reassurance here. It's now been about 5-6 days since the initial onset of my symptoms and I'm still really scared. The body ache and lethargy have left for the most part...my appetite has returned. But this morning was the first that I woke up feeling the pain in my windpipe area. The strangulation feeling isn't as bad but my chest feels like I smoked 2 packs of cigarettes in an hour. I haven't smoked since Xmas Eve morning. I guess it could be comparable to the bad chest pain you get with a chest cold right before its about to start breaking up and the mucus starts to come out. But I'm not coughing or anything. Just full of pain. So between the spot in my throat, the strangle feeling in my neck, and now the chest pain...I have myself convinced that the whole pipe is turning into cancer or something. I'm so scared. All I can do is sit here and cry :( Please help.

Re: Flu-like, Glands, and Throat Squeezing

Hey, i've never felt this way before, or had those symptoms.

But my glands have been large for years and get larger when i'm ill. But they've been checked and are harmless, they're big now because i had a cold the other week.

All i can say really is, don't worry until you're doctor tells you that it's serious! It could be nothing really. You're right in your 1st post, it's probably a viral thing that you just need anti biotics for.

That strangling thing is your anxiety. I'm almost certain about that. Think about it, if you didn't notice that white patch, you wouldn't of got that sensation. You're worrying yourself crazy, girlrock!

Just book your appointment, for your own sake, to put your mind at rest

All the best for your birthday and new year
    x

Re: Flu-like, Glands, and Throat Squeezing

Thanks Lainey Calling the doctor in the morning...yay a trip to the doctor on my birthday...but maybe it will be what I need to calm my nerves and enjoy the rest of my day!

Thread Information