Thread: How Many Of Us Are Public With Our Anxiety?

Exclamation How Many Of Us Are Public With Our Anxiety?

Do you keep it to yourself, do you only let loved ones and/or friends know about it?

For me I like to be upfront and let everyone know I have anxiety, even people that I don't know that well. That way If I have a panic attack, people around me will understand what's happening to me and will be more understanding and helpful.

For all the people that keep their anxiety to themselves, I've noticed that just telling someone that your feeling any anxiety right now helps a lot. Don't keep it all bundled inside.

Re: How Many Of Us Are Public With Our Anxiety?

I tell anyone that i have to deal with. Anywhere i think i might panic - concerts ask for a seat convienient to the exit "as I suffer from panic attacks" it generally works. i had an app at ENT for hearing test i warned them i had PA.
    Family and friends werre different i was so embarrassed that they would think me "stupid" I would strive to be perfect in anything i did, i was everything to everybody. and then i had a serious pa at course i was doing and had to be brought home. Oh boy what mayhem that caused - no one understood what a PA was - Ha ha How do you explain it???? I was on meds for three weeks confined to the house - then they "all" got to know what i had been going through for years. now i am well supported.
    June

I kept my anxiety and depression from everyone I knew untill I lost the plot and I was sectioned to a Psychiatric hospital for my own safety - of course my secret was out!

At the time I was very angry about being sectioned and thought the Drs were playing God with my life, but in hindsight it literally saved my life and I got so much support from family and friends.

I urge anyone who is going through so much anxiety that they feel that they can no longer cope, to talk to someone about how you feel. Don't bottle things up as I did and think that eventually you will be ok.

for everyone xxx

yes i am open about it now - but i wasnt always - i didnt understnad what was wrong with me, i couldnt see anyone my own age suffering, i felt it was a sign of weakness - but then my situation go tso bad that my whole life was anxiety so everybody had to know and ive been through telling everyone - but now i dont feel the need to disclose it at all unless i really want to or feel it would benefit the realtionship eg if someone told me they had anxiety i would tell them i had it too.

i am not open at all i hide it from every1 i can as i dnt feel ppl understand, obviously my parents know and my best friend to some degree but thats it!! i haven't had a bf for more than 4 weeks over the past 4 years because if i dnt wan see them for a night thy wan to know why and there is only so many excuses u can have so i make an excuse to break up with them so i dont have to tell them truth!! my anxiety is quite severe and i cant cope goin out the house more than once a week, it also makes me very tired and i prefer be alone as much as possible because then i don't have to put a brave face on and be some1 im not which is also tiring.....sorry im jus rambling on now..in conclusion the answer to the question is no im not open about my anxiety.

can i ask sunshine lady if the anxiety is better after being sectioned or worse?

Initially when I first started getting Panic Attacks in October 2007, I kept it to myself. I was brave enough to tell a couple of colleagues in January 2008.

When I properly broke down in July 2008, my family obviously knew about it then and being as I have been signed off work since, everyone else kind of guessed something was wrong.

I've been into work a few times for a cup of tea and stuff since I have been off, and I have been completely open about it to anyone who asks.

Have to admit that when I say to people that I have been suffering with Depression and extreme anxiety, I am suprised by the number of my colleagues who have said they suffer(ed) with the same at some stage in their lives.

About five years ago i was in the student common room, and they were having a great laugh at an article in the paper about a lady who was terrified of pigeons.
    I asked them what was there greatest fear??? most said spiders and or snakes= "well spiders race accross the floor and snakes are slithery things, they are horrible"
    OK i said imagine if a snake or a spider landed beside you right this minute (and clapped my hands loudly at the same time)
    It began a most interesting discussion that they had never heard of or thought about things that other people have fears about.
    This is the whole point if people do not know about fears / nerves / panic etc etc they will never be able to understand.
    sorry for the rant but hope you understand what i mean
    June

Quote Originally Posted by Deli View Post
    i am not open at all i hide it from every1 i can as i dnt feel ppl understand, obviously my parents know and my best friend to some degree but thats it!! i haven't had a bf for more than 4 weeks over the past 4 years because if i dnt wan see them for a night thy wan to know why and there is only so many excuses u can have so i make an excuse to break up with them so i dont have to tell them truth!! my anxiety is quite severe and i cant cope goin out the house more than once a week, it also makes me very tired and i prefer be alone as much as possible because then i don't have to put a brave face on and be some1 im not which is also tiring.....sorry im jus rambling on now..in conclusion the answer to the question is no im not open about my anxiety.

can i ask sunshine lady if the anxiety is better after being sectioned or worse?

Deli,

If you don't mind i would like to add my 'piece' to your problems. I realise relationships are very difficult to start with anxiety probs. I thought i would never ever meet anyone because my agoraphobia was so bad i was housebound for a year. However, in that time i met someone online (how else??). I told her almost immediately of my anxiety probs. I felt if someone really wants to be with you, they will understand - if not, they're not worth the hassle anyway. That person i met online eventually married me and we're just about to celebrate our 2nd Anniversary.

The point is, you really do need to be up front with people. I used to hide it initially, only told a couple of people, but now i tell anyone as necessary - ie, if i need something or extra attention, i will tell someone even if i don't know them - you have no idea how many people i had to tell or get to help me when i flew to Peru!

I hope things work out better for you.

Gregor

Thread Information