Thread: Root canal!!!

Root canal!!!

Hey everyone,

I've just looked at my calander and have noticed that I have a dentist appt tomorrow for root canal.

I am absolutely terrified now. I have never had any work done on my teeth before - not even a filling. The most I have had done is a clean.

I am dreading tomorrow now and am really scared about what this root canal involves. My heart is beating like mad and I am just terrified that it will hurt or that I will have a reaction to the anesthetic and the thought of sitting in that chair for all that time is horrible.

I really am worried. Has anyone else had root canal before? What does it involve and is there anything that can go wrong? What happens if I get too freaked out and need to leave half way through??

I know I sound like a wimp but this is really worrying me!!

Thanks guys x

Re: Root canal!!!

Hi

I used to dread the dentist, but I am lucky to have found a really good one, who is very good at making you feel calm.... For 31years of my life, I refused to have an injection, and would have fillings with nothing other than paracetamol... I couldnt understand how a needle could go into your gums...
    Anyway 2years ago, I needed a filling and my dentist refused to do it, unless I had a injection, as it would be too painfull without
    It was a difficult day, but I put my trust in him and it was over and done with in no time.... and the injection was fine

Go for it..... you will be fine... just remember these people are professional and done this many times before

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki08 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I've just looked at my calander and have noticed that I have a dentist appt tomorrow for root canal.

I am absolutely terrified now. I have never had any work done on my teeth before - not even a filling. The most I have had done is a clean.

I am dreading tomorrow now and am really scared about what this root canal involves. My heart is beating like mad and I am just terrified that it will hurt or that I will have a reaction to the anesthetic and the thought of sitting in that chair for all that time is horrible.

I really am worried. Has anyone else had root canal before? What does it involve and is there anything that can go wrong? What happens if I get too freaked out and need to leave half way through??

I know I sound like a wimp but this is really worrying me!!

Thanks guys x

I have had a few root canals but I have always had gas and air. I think you need to have a word with your dentist before they start work as you cannot leave half way through.

Hi Vicki,

I have had a couple of root canal fillings in the past and Dominic ia absolutley spot on, they are done in no time. Explain to your dentist how anxious you are feeling and I am sure they will do their best to reassure you, there are many people who are scarred of dentists and you certainly won't be the first anxious person they have come across and certainly not the last.

Please try not to worry too much and please let us know how you get on xxx

It's really only like a big filling - ask your dentist to use a local anaesthetic without adrenaline (maybe Citanest) so that your anxiety isn't made any worse - I have had a root canal in this way and afterwards, I wondered why I had worried so much - honestly!!

Hi Vicki,

I've only had one root canal. I'm so scared of dentists that I have to have gas just to have my teeth cleaned. I received a shot to numb the area of my gums and my doctor did not have gas so I was bummed but your doctor might. If I were you I would see what options are available for your treatment.

I did not feel a thing and I would say what bothered me the most was having to keep my mouth open for so long, my jaws got tired. I know you will do fine and will come back and have a huge success story. I will be thinking about you and I get my teeth cleaned on Thursday, so if you will, think about me on that day too!

Love,

Laura xxx

Thank you all for your replies. I am glad that its not just me who is terrified of dentists!

Do you think that the anaesthetic could make my anxiety/panic attacks worse? I think I will have to have a chat to my dentist. My regular dentist has left and I have a new one and he isnt very friendly (quite moody actually!) so I really am dreading it.
    I know I need it done as I dont want any problems with my teeth but I keep thinking 'if only I could put it off..' naughty I know.

Thank you again for your replies x

Well I went to the dentist even though I was really scared and walked out about a million times! I took my rescue remedy and ipod and a book.

My dentist took one look at me and said he can't do the root canal as I have a cough at the moment and it would be too hard to do the treatment if I was to have a coughing fit.

I was really upset as I just wanted to get it over and done with and it took a lot to get me there the first place. I feel let down becuase I dont think my cough is that bad. I cant believe I have got to wait another 2 weeks and go through it all again. He wouldnt even answer my questions about the anaesthetic just said it is the standard stuff they use. It felt like I was being rushed out the door. At least I went there and didnt chicken out. I suppose thats something to be proud of.

Thumbs up Re: Root canal!!!

Hey!

Well done for going in the first place! I bet you were really annoyed about not having it done. It doesn`t help when the dentist is unfriendly either! My friend bit her dentist`s finger when she thought something was going to hurt!

I was suppose to have a root canal done about a year ago but I got so worked up about because the tooth was painful to start with, my dentist decided the best option for me was to have the tooth out at the day centre at hospital. I was offered sedation or a general anaesthetic and I chose the general! It was only a back tooth and I`m glad it`s not there anymore!

I did have to wait a couple of months for my hospital appointment but my dentist put in a temporary filling to be going on with and it was fine. It may be worth discussing this with your dentist.

Anyway take care and try not to worry too much, try to think of it only being a tooth!

Tanya xx

Thread Information