Thread: Cut hands from washing

Cut hands from washing

I have OCD from fear of getting sik, i've cut down alot recently with washing them because I counted up how many times i washed my hands while making a sandwhich...the total came to 16 times! Which is just ridiculous.
    My hands are so sore though, recently i've been getting cuts on my knuckles which is really painful and plasters won;t stay on.
    I;ve found it's worse when I use anti bacterial soap (but it's the only one i feel safe using), i stopped using hand gel because that stung so much.

I was wondering if anyone has the same problem and what, if any, cream do you use on them to make them heal?

I use dove moisturing cream on them to make them less dry but then it gets in the cuts and stings like hell.

Thank you x

Re: Cut hands from washing

You're just like me. I counted how many times I washed my hands while making a sandwich the other day, too! 10 for me, probably would have been much higher if fresh vegetables were involved. Thank goodness for single serving packets of guacamole.

I don't know what's available to you in the UK, but I use liquid bandage. There are many brands. It's an antiseptic liquid that covers your cuts and dries. Granted, it doesn't last long on my hands with my behavior, but it's something.

My routine at night is to slather on a petroleum-based goop like Aquaphor or Neutrogena hand cream, followed by something with dimethicone or just a good solid lotion (Gold Bond, Eucerin, nothing light). Then the most important part... put on GLOVES. They make spa gloves that are cottony and soft. I actually found mine at the grocery store. I don't like wearing gloves at night, but the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. We'll see how I am when summer comes along.

The next morning your hands will be much softer and less painful. Of course by the end of the day they'll probably be battered and bloody again, but I'm used to that.

Also, I used to be the same way with antibacterial soaps. But studies have shows plain soap and water yields better results anyway, so I'm trying to use alternatives. It's really the rubbing and rinsing that do the work. I found a thyme-based liquid soap that doesn't hurt my hands at all and it's supposed to be naturally antibacterial, so I feel good about that. It's called CleanWell. Not sure if they sell it over there.

Definitely use gloves at night. It makes a world of difference. And look into the liquid bandage because you do not want to get an infection from those open cracks. I recently did and it wasn't good.

Good luck. You sound so much like me!

~Laura

Yeah, my hands were really sore and itchy, but i have a wee piece of advice.

Go into a chemist and get yourself some COTTON gloves, really cheap. Then purchase some good hand cream, i use http://www.ciao.co.uk/Neutrogena_Han...scented__68800. Itx texture isn't actually cream, its more like Vaseline. I cover my hands in it every night, put on the gloves and when i wake in the morning, my hands are almost repaired.

Last night my hands were itchy and red from all the washing, today - smooth and soft

x

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Brilliant advice, thank you both so much!
    I'll go to the chemist and ask their advice too and pick up the things you mentioned.

xxx

Thread Information