Thread: Why cant I make this stop?

Unhappy Why cant I make this stop?

It is just before my period, which doesn't help, and I had a stressful couple of weeks over the holiday. Now I am tortured day and night with thoughts of hurting my kids. I want to be sick. What kind of mother has these things in her head? I am so wrecked...I shake all the time. I feel like I am loosing it. I am not on medication but was a few years ago. Am I going to lose my mind? I am so ashamed.

I am all of these characters all rolled into one! Sallad [43married, four boys]

Re: Why cant I make this stop?

I read somewhere that new mothers at times have these thoughts and believe it or not its very common. In NOWAY does it mean they are bad mothers and I know the same applies to you.
    When we are under stress it can make us think in ways that we would not normally do but if the problem persists then maybe talk it over with a counsellor. They wont judge you and have no dount dealt with others with similer thoughts.
    But remember thoughts and acting on them are different but I understand how concerned you must feel

Re: Why cant I make this stop?

Hi Sallad,
    Please please dont think that you are a bad mother.. It is because you love your children and are such a conscientious mother that these thoughts torture you so much.. but they mean nothing. OCD picks on the things that we fear the most and the things that are most abhorent to us and then plays on those fears.

The fears that you are having are so common amongst parents, you'd be amazed!

A trick that I use when I am going through a bad phase of intrusive thoughts is I make myself think of something really cute and benign after the horrible thought.. like Mickey Mouse or a cute puppy.. It kind of neuralises the horrible image.. Then i say to myself this is OCD, nothing more then try and get busy..

Wishing you lots of luck and happiness

Thread Information