Thread: Social anxiety disorder/Depression

Social anxiety disorder/Depression

Hey, I just thought I'd tell my story. It's great that there is so much support from really nice people here. I appreciate any help and opinions of people who can relate to the following,
    I have suffered from SAD all my life and depression for probably about the same amount of time. My depression is mainly as a result of the severe SAD.
    I was bullied throughout school. I find it difficult to make friends, have never found a partner and feel as if I never will most of the time. I get so nervous around people, when people watch me doing things, like talking, writing etc. I worry about things alot. I tremble, my heart throbs and I can't speak properly when I get nervous. I don't know what to say to people. I have all the symptoms of SAD and most of the symptoms of depression. I am terrified around women and this is the most depressing part. At times I feel like ending it all when my depression becomes really intense. I wouldn't though because I'm afraid to die and people would be really hurt if I did something like that. I guess a tiny part of me believes I will have a successful future, nice home, kids and soulmate, I dream about having that.
    I'm 20 now and for my whole life I have kept all my problems to myself. It is affecting my college work so badly cause I'm always tired and can't concentrate. The best decision I ever made was to seek help which was 2 months ago. I have started seeing a counsellor in college, taking antidressants and going to a depression support group. I don't know what I'd be like if I still hadn't used their help. I really appreciate them and would advice anyone else to take advantage of them if they can get them.
    Unfortunately I am still very depressed but slightly better, I have no problem talking about my feelings and problems to the people supporting me. I'm really worried that I will never be able to have conversations with women though and nobody will be interested in me. I know theres someone out there for everyone but I still feel so sad that my soulmate might have passed me by. Thanks for reading this, I know I have alot to be greatful for and that I have been given alot in life but its hard to see things like that when you are so upset. I hope things get better this year, not just for me but for you too. I'd love to be able to help people with SAD and depression when I'm better. I guess you learn how to respect people with problems when your having your own ones yourself. If only the stigma could be removed from mental health problems.

Re: Social anxiety disorder/Depression

Hi C-47,

to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

I also have social anxiety and can so relate to you when you say:

I get so nervous around people, when people watch me doing things, like talking, writing etc. I worry about things alot. I tremble, my heart throbs and I can't speak properly when I get nervous. I don't know what to say to people.
    It's great that you're going to counselling & the support group. I have been thinking about doing one or both of these now for a while now.

Best wishes

hi and welcome to NMP

Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx

The Sticky Kitchen on facebook!

Hey thanks for the warm welcomes. I definately think counselling/groups will help you Patty. They make me feel alot better and I don't know where Id be without them. I hope you get all the help you need for you social anxiety too.
    I was just wondering if anyone has ever had such bad SAD that they felt suicidal at times. The support I have now has stopped me feeling like that as much but its still really worrying. I feel as if I can't live my life properly and I am so terrified approaching women.

Hi and to NMP, pleased you found us. I'm sure you will like it here as there is so much advice, information and support. Remember you are never alone.

chat is fun too and a great place to make new friends

Thread Information