Thread: Disability ??!

Disability ??!

I was off work for 3 days last week following a nasty panic attack in the middle of the night which sent my anxiety levels sky high! I have panic disorder with some agoraphobic behaviours, but it was the consequential anxiety which kept me off work so this is what I stated on my self-cert (anxiety). We have to complete a specific self-cert form which is then used in a return to work interview. One of the questions on the form asks if the reason for absence was related to a disability. This is where my managers and I are stuck. Is this a disability? If I was unfairly treated because of my illness I would be covered by the Disability Discrimination Act as I have suffered for at least a year. On the other hand, it's hard to think of Panic Disorder as a disability.

What do you think? How many people with long term anxiety-related issues classify themselves as disabled?

Re: Disability ??!

Hi short

NO!! I wouldn't class you as disabled in the slightest.

Short answer

Els

Hi

I think you'll find you have to be certified diabled by your doctor and so not for this purpose you are not. However, you can still not be discriminated against for your illness.

Good luck

It does seem difficult to think of panic disorder as a disability, but there are plenty of times I would say it has caused me to be unable to do things people are expected to do normally. During a panic attack it's hard to think rationally or concentrate on what's happening or what you're doing, move properly, respond to other people, which is pretty debilitating. So to answer your question, whether panic disorder is classed by professionals as a disability or not, I think when we are affected in a similar way there's no harm in explaining it in this way to people who don't understand the illness.

Nikki

Thanks for that - you have echoed what I thought. I think it was just one of those questions and making sure we got it right! I certainly don't think of myself as diasabled (although I am unable to do a lot of things as a direct result of panic and anxiety). I might ask Health & Well Being when my appointment comes through.

Hi, I don't know is it or is it not a disability? some people get disabled living allowance I believe?

I suppose this is why its so confusing. I can't face being near crowds or noise, for instance, which makes aspects of my job impossible. For this reason, adaptations have been made at work so that I don't have to work in the noisy dinner hall or attend big events. Meeting attendance can be an issue, both within school and outside. I can't shop in normal hours and my life has been restricted to home, work and a few select "quiet" shops locally. The thought of going into the town centre or into a pub/restaurant is enough to induce extreme panic.

The fact I am still able to work, even though it is about the only thing I am able to do, suggests that my condition is not disabling! Does that make sense? The fact is though that my employer has had to make ongoing adaptations to help me continue. I have been referred to Heath & Well Being so that they can offer me and my employer further advice on how to keep me in work. This is why the question of disability caused us all confusion on the back-to-work form.

Thread Information