Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can talking to yourself be linked to anxiety...please answer.

Can talking to yourself be linked to anxiety...please answer.

I really didn't know where to put this, i hope it's ok here. To be honest i really wasn't sure how to title it either.
    Anyway i talk to myself. It's not just when i'm pottering about the house but it's also like when i'm walking down the street. I could be walking to the shops or somewhere else, if i'm walking somewhere far i could be talking for ages!
    I am completely aware that i'm doing it and i stop as soon as i see another person so they don't catch me, just because i know they will think i'm weird. I'm not talking like i am having a conversation but more like i'm telling a story or explaining something to someone. I never think i have been asked something and respond to it, it's just me babbling away.
    I'm really concerned that this could be the start of some more severe mental illness, although at the moment i dont feel it is. Does anyone else do this? I feel like some kind of weird freak talking like that in the streets. Is this linked to anxiety?
    I have heard lonliness can result in people talking to themselves but i really don't suffer to bad with that, even though i have lived by myself for many years. Could this be the reason? I need to know that i'm not going even more mad than i already am, please help me with this.
    Kerry x

Re: Can talking to yourself be linked to anxiety...please answer.

Kerry

I don't think you are mad hun, we all have funny little habits that we don't want others to know about incase they judge us. people talk to themselves all the time whether it be a little or alot so don't go worrying yourself about it.

Lisa
    xx

Hi Kerry,

I talk to myself all the time , i dont even realise it until the kids or hubby say who on earth are u talking to.
    My mum used to do it all the time have conversations with herself so maybe ive inherited it of her or just picked it up. I find myself talking as well when i go to the supermarket and things, i dont think its linked to lonliness although at the moment i can get really lonely but thats another story........ your definately not going mad but i honestly think it keeps me sane..... so please stop worrying your fine, take care xxxxx

Another self-conversationalist here! I also talk to my computer at work as well as myself (I work with a load of blokes, so I get more sense out of myself and the computer than I do out of them!)

My mum does it, and I can remember her father, my grandad, doing it too, so in our case it must be a family thing . . .

. . . rather than a sign of madness, I prefer to look upon it as a sign of high intelligence!

As Kittykat says, Kerry, don't worry, many people do it and it's not abnormal at all!

I also talk to myself, so don't worry you are not mad , i don't have full blown conversations but out willl pop the odd sentence now and again, i don't think twice about it, doesn't everyone talk to themselves now and again

You are basically just thinking out .Dont worry about it.

Hi Kerry,

I also talk to myself. It all started when I was a child. My father would get angry with me talking to myself. I still carried on talking to myself. Somestimes when I am outside I do talk to myself. I also see other people also talking to their selves as well. Don't worry about it.

Keith x

Hehe you have all cheered me up...thank you.
    It's something i've always wanted to talk to someone about but been a bit ebarressed, i'm glad im not the only one
    Thanks again.
    Kerry x

I talk to myself and go through out loud what im going to say to people when i see them, people are unique and its just a little quirk you have. talking to yourself is different than having voices in your head so i wouldnt worry

Hi Kerry

I also talk to myself, but I am raving mad lol! No seriously I think a lot of people do it. I think it's a bit like singing away to yourself.

xxxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information