Thread: Reading others posts fuelling anxieties.

Thumbs down Reading others posts fuelling anxieties.

Does anyone feel that sometimes by reading other peoples symptoms and hearing about health issues and anxities that it maybe having a negative effect on your own well mental outlook?I find most of the posts are very sad i feel moved by peoples life experiences and although its very supportive in one way i feel it can be detremental in another for example say i am thrilled miss a is feeling well today etc but i am upset much more by miss b feeling ill and at a loss this has some impact on me i guess some negative impact.For myself im going too stay away because it does fuel the fire of anxiety in stead of feeling there are otheres going through much worse days than me i feel what if?what if? i was as bad as that again - i cant allow myself to be made more anxious that i have been so i will stay away for my own sanity.Reading symptoms people not going out not having friends and being sick on the meds it is upsetting i wish them well but this isnt the place for me and my recovery.

Re: Reading others posts fuelling anxieties.

Hi hun
    Sorrry you feel that way but i can understand it too.
    I wish you well.
    Take care x

I find the opposite effect.
    I am pleased that someone is feeling well.
    If someone has a problem it is often one that i have read about or experienced and I offer my advice.
    Some times I get a reply to say they found it helpful or it may lead others to offer help.
    Sometimes reading about someone elses problem greatly relieves mine - it is that feeling that I am not alone and that a symptom I have the same as other people then mine is not so serious
    Best wishes
    june

I agree with June on this one, I find that other people going through what I am going through or have been through strangely comforting not that I would wish this horrible illness on my worst enemy, it helps me feel less isolated, reassures me that I am not going to drop dead or go mad, and if someone is suffering from something that I have overcome or relate to I will offer advice, it is nice to know that we are not alone, also some people have offered me advice which I have been extremely grateful for, sometimes someone will have no advice but will send you best wishes or a hug which again has been very very helpful.

Debbie

Hi

Just thought Bluegirl won't be reading our replies cos she isn't coming on anymore lol.

Reading too many posts on anxiety and depression when you are suffering can make you feel worse of course. If you spend hours on end on NMP then you would be filling your mind with the very thing you need to stop thinking about.

However, just like the others have said, I personally get great pleasure out of giving others advice if I can. I know when I have been suffering badly and have spilled out my troubles on here I would feel much better at the replies/advice people had given. The support network is wonderful.

We have to use our own judgment and common sense don't we? For example if I'm in a low mood and I go on the depression threads then I can usually tell by the first couple of sentences of someone's posting whether it is going to be too much for me to handle - .. so I click out. It's as simple as that.

Hi,

I agree a little with the poster on this one (but partially not!).

When i first came on these forums, i was at an all-time low and didn't know what to do. Reading and then getting the courage to make my first posting definitely was the turning point in my recovery, i feel. I was made to feel very welcome and everyone was so nice and extremely helpful. At first i spent a lot of time on - like everyday - posting, replying, pm-ing. It all made such a difference to me.

However, when i felt strong enough to go it alone, i cut my visiting down and eventually stopped. I usually only come on now and again to share my positive news. I feel being positive and being surrounded by positive thoughts are more helpful to me now. I will, of course, still post if i really need some advice. I'm not fully recovered, but this is my way of doing things for now which is fine for me. I believe everyone's at different stages and therefore some will find it more beneficial to be on the forums more than others, as i did initially.

I always recommend NMP to anyone who needs help.

Gregor

Greg

Don't take this the wrong way but I did comment on this thing about caffeine before. Yes, excessive amounts are not good for anyone but I assure you caffeine is not the cause of a real anxiety "state".

What about drinks like Red Bull - these energy drinks - they would be more let's say "adreneline inducing" than coke I reckon.

If we put warnings on cans of Coke then I'm afraid warnings will have be put on many many other things on our supermarket shelves.

The point is, that if you have an anxiety problem you won't want to be putting stuff in your body which could exacerbate your symptoms. So... you don't drink coke or coffee or whatever.

i find that nmp has helped me greatly as in other people feeling and suffering as i do ..if i read the first few lines of a post and dont like were its going i just click back ..

for the first poster every anxiety forum is the same people are suffering with one thing or the other and looking for help ....thats great if you feel you dont need help from forums ..

i wish you well

Thread Information