Thread: sinking sensation

sinking sensation

Hi does anyone get the sensation that their abdomen has dropped out to the floor - leaving a very very giddy tight head and very sore ribcage.
    My legs felt like lead and I found it very hard to walk
    To say i was terrified is a big understatment.
    I eventually got to the dodtor and I could not get my breath - total panic the receptionist took me to a side room and i saw a doctor 15 mins later who said "bad case of panic and anxiety - you will be fine go home and have a cup of tea!!!!!!!!!"
    my "nerves have been on edge ever since and at this moment my body feels as if it has been "run over by a steam roller" and i am still very very scared
    My stomach/abdomen feels bloated and i feel very sick and light headed
    anyone else have this ????
    june
    ANYONE????
    Last edited by june; 13-02-09 at 13:37.

Re: sinking sensation

I find it hard to believe that 11 people have read this post and no one bothered to answer.
    it is hard enough to cope when acquaintances can not be bothered talking to me - but on here i had hoped someone might care.

Hi June,
    I can sympathise with how you are feeling, I was going through some pretty acute health anxiety last year and I also have IBS on top of that which gives me the bloated feelings you describe. Are you on any medication at the moment? I have been on prozac for around 3 months now and although it was a bit bumpy at the start I am now able to function more or less as normal though I still have my IBS which is more of an annoyance than anything else. I also still have my health anxiety though what the prozac has done is to stop me from wallowing in it for too long. Not sure where you are regarding meds but it has definitely helped me.
    Hope things improve for you soon.

Thank you for the reply Fin,
    I am not on meds - i had some bad reactions and i am never sure which is worse, the PA or the reactions.
    The bloating - IBS I can just about put up with - although it is horrid and very uncomfortable.
    It is the first part of my post that i can not cope with.
    The main help with PAs from the psychiatrist and or docs etc
    Often give me
    This example
    panic before going to a wedding:
    Define the problem
    What is going to happen? Something awful
    when will this happen? Now
    Who is involved ? Me
    At the end of this stage you should be able to say what your goals are for dealing with this problem!!!!!!!!!
    This sort of problem is not even on my radar...
    I have no problem going to events - I never had a problem speaking in dabate.
    My PA will start on a bus going shopping or just sitting on the sofa watching TV.
    I did have a PA when I went for an MRI scan I could not go through with it BUT i understood why I panicked then.
    Sorry for going on a rant - I am just so fed up I am just getting settled after the massive panic on thursday.
    Best wishes
    June

Hi June,
    I have to say I empathise fully with what you must be going through. When I hear about your problems I am afraid there is not much advice I can give you. Although I have had a couple of panic attacks this was when my HA was at its most acute and I was at a pretty low ebb. The sort of spontaneous PA you describe sound pretty frightening and I can imagine (or not) that they must be very disconcerting. Have you been referred to a phsychiatrist/therapist for help of some sort? I recently started CBT which is still in the initial phase but am hopeful it will yield results in the long term.
    Sorry I couldn't be more help. I hope you start to feel an improvement soon.
    Fin

Hi June

Yes! I can sympathise! That's exactly what happened to me and I thought I was dying.
    I had some group CBT and the breathing tricks do help. I still have a long way to go though to get through my health anxieties....
    Good luck,
    Pegs X

I've found that the illnesses I have which are actually life threatening are not a problem! I have a serious allergy to nuts and have had a cardia arrest becuase of it. Likewise a respatory arrest becuase of asthma. How odd then that I don't bother carrying medication for either but am convinced my sinus infection has got into my brain!! Strange old thing this anxiety.

Thread Information