Thread: Air Hunger

Air Hunger

I always feel like I have to take in a big gulp of air every few minutes. This has been going on non-stop since January of last year. I've been to quite a few doctors and they've all told me it's caused by anxiety, but I honestly don't know what I'm anxious about!!

I've been to three psychologists and a hypnotherapist, I've been prescribed Ativan, Prozac, Paxil, Ciprolex (Not sure if that's spelled right), Effexor, Zoloft, and Xanax, but nothing has made any difference.

I find it hard to believe that this is caused by anxiety when I'm really not that anxious of a person (unless I have everyone fooled including myself), but I've been thoroughly checked out by my doctors and nothing seems to be physically wrong. I find when I start worrying enough about my breathing that it can cause an actual panic attack, which is another reason I have a hard time believing it's anxiety. Is it possible to have constant anxiety symptoms that can be overlapped by worse anxiety symptoms?

I'm not asthmatic and I'm not overweight. I go to the gym almost daily. Does anyone else have this problem and have you found anything that has worked for you?

Re: Air Hunger

I do!
    My doctor told me it was 'air hunger' caused by anxiety.
    Some days i have no idea what im anxious about at all..

You need to be doing correct breathing every day until it becomes 2nd nature.

You are overbreathing hence the gulping for air all the time.

Have a read on the webiste pages here for the correct breathing technique to use.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hiya
    Ive done this for years hun its definitely caused by anxiety...overbreathing.
    I keep taking in deep breaths as if i cant get enough air into my lungs...daft really because im obviously still breathing inbetween. But it is a little scary and makes you think that there something physically wrong other than anxiety. I understand how your feeling, but it will ease hun and go away. Mine went away for a long long time, and its only because im going through menopause that my anxiety has started again.
    Hope it gets better soon for you
    Take care
    xxx

Thread Information