Thread: perimenopause or anxiety? Please answer my post

perimenopause or anxiety? Please answer my post

Just want some advice please ladies. I'm 44 and have suffered from anxiety and agoraphobia for the last 22 years since I had my son. I've never really had loads of problems with my periods except a headache just before I came on and maybe just a slight rise in anxiety but nothing major and my periods were always very regular. For the past few months i've started experiencing quite severe anxiety mid cycle and then just before I come on my anxiety goes through the roof. I'm also finding that i'm only going about 25/27 days between periods. Other symptoms i've noticed are very dry skin, aching in my shoulders and sometimes a tight chest. Has anyone else experienced any of these symptoms coming up to the start of the menopause? I'm getting really worried about it and i've also had a real lot of stress in my life as I have 2 grandchildren on the way and i'm moving premises with my job which for an agoraphobic are massive. If anyone could offer me any reassurance i'd be really grateful.

Thabks again

Ju x

Re: perimenopause or anxiety? Please answer my post

Sounds like you have alot going off in your life, this could be the cause.
    Try to take some me time.

I am so glad I found your post as I am feeling exactly the same as you at the moment.I am 42 and have suffered from some form of anxiety all my life,ie nervy and highly strung as a child and now I am in the mad grown up world I have anxiety and panic disorder.I am married with one child and lately have had a terrible time with my anxiety leading up to my period.I have just finished my last one but for about 4 days before I felt achy with aches and pains all over my body,a sickly headache,the feeling that I could murder somebody and the nausea is horrible.My anxiety is 10 times worse than normal and my husband has informed me that it is very noticable and to be honest I feel very annoyed when he says "oh I thought it was that time again".My friend says I could be going through the peri-menopause whatever that is and I should be prepared for a whole host of wierd symptoms which makes me feel worse.I also have had the tight chest and this just freaks me out as I take beta blockers for high bp and am going to the hospital next week for a monitor to be fitted for 24 hrs to record my hearts activity to check everything is ok so i instantly think something is wrong when I feel this way.Don't worry too much about this as we both sound as if we are going through something similiar,speak to your gp and he may put your mind at rest.

Thanks ever so much for answering my thread. Its weird isn't it but when I wrote it I was so stressed out and anxious and now 3 days into my period i feel noticibly less anxious. Its stupid that we don't see it as simple as it is when we feel stressed out. I really do appreciate you answering me though as just a few words of reassurance can mean the world and even reduce the anxiety. thanks ladies

BLOOMIN HORMONES! I have been through the permenopause (im 49 now) and it started with missing periods,hot flushes, panics and headaches and crying all the time - just like when I was a teen with periods. I have been on HRT for 9 years as started all this when I was 40 - now coming off the HRT and praying the panic doesnt get any worse! wenjoy x

Thread Information