Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoking

Smoking

Hi all

I have been thinking for a while about stopping smoking, its smelly disgusting and unhealthy i know!!! and of course being far to expensive now, but cant help thinking it helps me at times to calm myself, Probably a psychological thing. Has anyone got any good tips for giving up that acutally work????

Love & Hugs from Sarah-Jane xxxx

Have you read Alan Carrs Book ?

I gave up about a month ago. I just stopped one day as I don't believe in cutting down. I feel great for it!! Not much of a tip - sorry..

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

My husband and Uncle are both currently giving up using patches and both doing really well on them.

Peru83 is offline Intermediate Member
    I thought that this might help you give up:

"What problems does smoking cause teenagers?"
    "At first I enjoyed smoking. I loved the feeling of, I'm cool, I'm a man, but it's not like that. I wake up and I can't help myself but to smoke. I tried quitting many times. It hurts to stop. I'm addicted. I used to trick myself and say I'll never get addicted. . The more you trick yourself the worse it's going to be. It's embarrassing to me to have to depend on a cigarette. You know, I have to have one, I have to have one. It's very embarrassing to me. When I'm with people that don't smoke I feel like I have to separate myself from the group in order to have a cigarette and it's, like I said, it's embarrassing. A lot of girls do not like the smell of cigarettes, do not enjoy being around people who smoke." Jay Taylor is a nineteen-year-old smoker who started smoking when he was sixteen years of age .After only three years of smoking, pulmonary function testing of his small airways at the University of Miami Medical Center revealed that he already has the lungs of a sixty-six year old non-smoking man. Jay already has difficulty participating in competitive sports with his current lung function. If he continues to smoke, he's clearly heading toward disabling emphysema and chronic bronchitis with shortness of breath at rest and the need for continuous oxygen.

smoking causes;
    Cancer is a growth that invades tissue without control and has a tendency to spread to new sites.
    http://tobacco.mededu.miami.edu/toba...-eye%20man.jpg
    http://tobacco.mededu.miami.edu/toba...ut%20print.jpg
    http://tobacco.mededu.miami.edu/toba...onchoscopy.jpg

Emphysema is a pulmonary condition characterized by over distention and destruction of the air sacs in the lungs

Chronic bronchitis is prolonged inflammation of the bronchi characterized by attacks of coughing up mucous
    http://tobacco.mededu.miami.edu/toba...th%20trach.jpg
    http://tobacco.mededu.miami.edu/toba...s%20smoker.jpg

Coronary heart disease is a condition such as arteriosclerosis or hardening of the arteries that reduces the blood flow through the coronary arteries to the heart muscle
    http://tobacco.mededu.miami.edu/toba...giograrphy.jpg

Hope these pics help, I found them quite hard to look at myself and I've not smoked in over 6 weeks. I stopped smoking due to pa's and anxiety, I'm scared that I won't be able to breath if I smoke! so really I haven't had to go the long way round smoking but I think that it just goes to prove that it's all in your head! I had been smoking since I was 12 years old(though I was cool and all that,[Oops!]) and just one day I woke up and felt sick and trembled at the thought.

If these pics haven't grossed you out enough to put you off then the patches do work and so do the lozenges.

Take Carexx

Claire

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!"

thanks everyone for your messages, i know its something i really have to do, got to give a cut of time and stick to it xxxxxxxxx

Love & Hugs from Sarah-Jane xxxx

Hi Sarah Jane, I gave up with patches, the doctor prescribed them so the prescription charge was cheaper than the patches, she would ring me too so I didnt have to keep going in, She gave the patches for longer than the packet says and that is almost 3 yrs ago and now I dont even want one, Love alexis,xx

HELP TO STOP SMOKING
    Giving up smoking!

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi,
    I would like to give up smoking as well at some point. i dont like smoking most of the time but I now feel unable to give up because I feel it calms me down when anxious also I have difficulty not smoking when out in pubs etc.
    I have just read some of the comments on here about Alan Carrs book and looked on play.com he has a stop smoking book for women and its only £5.49 with free postage so I have bought it. Hopefully at the very least it will be a step towards feeling more prepared to give up

lucy x

I read the Alan carr book and it was brill.

I packed up 6 months ago next wednesday with the lozengers. I wouldn't say it was easy, but the health aspect kept me going.

I have begun to realise that smoking never did make me calmer because the same **** was always there when I had stubbed it out.

Now I realise how much I used to smell.

Its the best thing I could of done. I wont say that I never want one yet because sometimes I have a passing thought of one but they are now becomming few and far between.

As they say never give up trying to give up because eventually you will succeed

MANDIE XX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information