Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie, been a panic sufferer since 12 - am now 30

Newbie, been a panic sufferer since 12 - am now 30

Well sadly panic attack & anxiety is my middle name and it has been since I was 12 (when i had my first attack).

On and off since 12 it has ruined parts of my life and there are certain things I cannot do because of it. I have had counselling and been on various types of medication since then.

I don't tend to suffer depression, luckily, but do get down about the whole thing and have done for many years.

Now I am in the later stages of pregnancy things have calmed down a lot and I am hoping having a baby will take the focus of me just thinking about me and stupid scenarios all the time.

When the baby started kicking me at 17 weeks and I was in Cornwall with my hubby - I lost it and got really panicky as I was not in control of my body, it was ridiculous - we had to come home a day early. To make the panic worse I was really worried about how the bad tummy, bowels etc and racing heart affected the baby, so I panicked more !!!!! GRRRRR !!!

Anyway I went back to my therapist and talked things through and since then everything has been going really well and I realised that most of my recent panic was pregnancy related and because I was reacting badly to feeling sick etc, so I now manage (I have my moments) to try and keep control of it.

I am hoping after the baby is born that I will not have to go back on the medication I was on and that I will start to chill, but sadly I know this will always be a part of me from time to time.

Would be interesting to talk more to others about panic attacks and non-suffers can find the whole concept alien and that's not their fault!

This is the first forum I found on panic attacks - I wish I found it ****** years ago!!

hi and welcome to the site, im sure you wil find this site very helpful like i have, its been a god send to me, people are always on hand with plenty of good advice. please do join us in chat, its a real laugh and will always pick up your spirits if you are feeling low, and we will welcome you with open arms,lol. cant wait to chat, ps. people usually start coming in chat about 8pm.xxxxxx.

dmcgovern

Hi Minikins

Congratulations on your pregnancy. How many weeks are you now ?

Are you going to antenatal/ parent craft etc as it will teach you loads about what changes to expect with your body as it will do all sorts of things you're not expecting a bit later on so the more you know and can prepare for and expect the better.

Well done for getting off your medication pre pregnancy.

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Thanks Meg.

Had been trying for a baby for 4 years then it just happened to came off the medication cold turkey, which may not have been ideal really.

Am due to have the baby in 12 days time - so August 20th !!

Can't wait but am excited and hope I don't have a panic attack when I first go into labour but have heard that can be quite common and my hubby knows what to do with me when it happens

I actually heard about this site from someone on a pregnancy forum I belong to.

Look forward to chatting to you soon!

hi minikins
    congrats on your pregnancy, its really hard being pregnant and suffering panic attacks with my baby i had to see someone at the hospital and she did the relaxation classes with me on a one to one basis that i found a great help! she assured me that my panic attacks wouldnt harm my baby. i now have a very healthy 5 year old that i adore.
    welcome to the forum and warm wishes
    michelle xxx

Hi Minikins

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Hi Minikins.

Welcome to the site. Keep us updated on the baby situ

MANDIE XX

Hi, I'm knew as well and I also wish I'd found this site a while ago. Didn't know what a panic attack was until 9 months ago........but I'm fully aware now!!!
    Congrats on the pregnancy and I hope the birth goes as smoothly.
    All the best Trev

Hi Minikins.

Many congratulations on the imminent baby - how exciting.

Glad you found us and hope we can be of some help to you.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Hi Minikins.

Congratulations on your forth coming baby hun.

A BIG warm welcome to the site I hope it helps you.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information