Thread: Hump, lump, bump? I'm scared.

Unhappy Hump, lump, bump? I'm scared.

I noticed 3 days ago in the car when I was rubbing the back of my neck that I had a "hump". It is right over my spine at the base of my neck, between my shoulders. I asked my husband about it and he said he saw it too. It mostly just makes me look thicker in that area, doesn't actually come out as a bump or anything.
    So I've been looking at it/messing with it ever since. It doesn't hurt at all, but feels like fluid or maybe fat???
    See, the thing is that I don't know if it's always been there or not. Maybe it has and I hadn't noticed it? I'm sure I would have though....
    Maybe I was always built that way, but hadn't noticed it because I was thinner (I had a baby 4 months ago and still need to lose about 15 lbs). But I'm still not "big", I'm 5'2 and 132 lbs. I don't know why fat would accumulate in that one spot and not further across on each side as well. Although I did accumulate more back fat this time than in times before.

I'm just totally freaking out because I'm afraid that
    a.) I have spinal fluid leaking and it has pooled there.
    b.) I have some type of cancer and it is a "lump"

I'm more worried about a.) because when I put my head down and feel it, all I feel is the bone and there is no lump or anything. So it'd be more like fluid that moves?!

Has anyone dealt with something like this? My hubby says I'm overreacting and it's probably just a little extra fat in that area or something.
    I can't see a dr. because I don't have insurance until August. So in the meantime I'm freaking out.

Oh and eye twitching...I've been having it quite often. First it was underneath my left eye (that started in my last month of pregnancy) and lasted for a month or so. Now underneath my right eye twitches on ocassion.

Re: Hump, lump, bump? I'm scared.

How far out does it stick out?Is it soft?

I felt the base of my neck there too and I have a bit of a lump but is it not just your spine?

I got bad posture you see and I think mines is something like that..I kinda look stooped sometimes the way I am sitting. Like my shoulders tend to fall forward instead of at the sides. I don't look any different but it can get sore.

Oh and the twitching! I have had that! I think it's just nerves. I twitch all roads sometimes. My friends have all had that eye twitch too.

Please don't worry.

But you should see the go just to reassure you hun. No point in sitting freaking out..

xxxxxxxx

I can't afford to get it checked out until we get insurance.

It is soft, but when I put my head down it is normal, just my spine. When upright it feels a bit like padding there.

Hi there i also have this lump and was told b a physio it is called a dowagers hump due to bad posture and is more noticable as we age. the eye twitch thing is almost always caused by stress.

Hi

I had an accident at work back in 1996 which affected the back of my neck, it was really painful for a number of years and through that my posture became very poor. I now have a slight hump at the base of my neck which my gp refered to it as a 'Doweger's Hump' (sp) to my disgust as i thought it was only what old ladies got!!

Trish x

normal!!!!! all the women in my family have them starting in their 20s. more noticeable as and if you gain weight. or if you have bad posture. in general it's not noticeable unless you look or feel for it or look at your profile in the mirror. totally normal. especially for women.
    I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea, and at last wake up in Naples, and there beside me is the Stern Fact, the Sad Self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thank you all SO much. I think you are all right.

I don't even notice it when I'm not focusing on it or paying attention to it, and the shirts I usually wear seem to cover that area in the back so I probably didn't see it before.

After reading these replies I noticed that my posture is AWFUL!! I am basically leaning all the way forward and hunched over when I sit down. Not to mention I'm nursing all the time and carrying the baby around which also causes me to hunch over and put strain on my back/neck area.

I am going to start working on this.

Thanks!!!!

Thread Information