Thread: Ocd & Ocpd

Ocd & Ocpd

I've read, albeit briefly, about the differences, but in what ways are they linked?

R

Ask me about: Marketing, contract & internet sales law, trucks, indie music, 90's Vauxhalls & 8" subs

Re: Ocd & Ocpd

Good Question, in actual reality they usually dont even share the same traits. People like me with OCD know that the rituals we preform and the things we count, clean or need to do are not "normal, but our brains dont allow us to stop for fear of something that might happen to us if we dont preform these acts of compulsion. People with OCPD are people who do things that they think are normal for everyday living. They dont see anything wrong with the things that they do in everyday living. They are usually hoarders and there is little chance for error in their worlds. The people in their lives usually have to live up to the expectations of the person who has OCPD where as people with OCD only do these things to themselves. People with OCPD live as if this is a "normal" life for them and dont have the fear that people with OCD have if things are not done because for them this is considered normal and people who dont live like them are wrong. I am only telling you what I have learned from having OCD, I personally do not know anyone with OCPD. I know the things I do sometimes are nuts, but its me and thats ok. I hope this helps.

Good Lord I think I may have been misdiagnosed, I think I have OCPD! I have never heard of it before but I need to find out more about it. Thanks for the info Gtrgrl! Okay, just googled it and it isn't me. I have been diagnosed with OCD but I don't have the image problem so a bit confused on what I am.

To answer your question Rob, the two can be linked by hoarding.

Take care,

Laura
    Last edited by Southern_Belle; 22-04-09 at 15:32.

GTRGTL, sounds like you just described my mother in a nut shell...

I've always thought she had ocd but was in denial ... but reading your description i realise its more than liekly OCPD...

She seems to do things she dislikes like cleaning and tidying to excess like the queen is visiting at any moment... She has a clear view that the onloy way possoble is how she thinks it should be and anyone else is either possesed by the devil (slight exagerationon my part lol) or just plain wrong and misguided.

i have never been able to live up to her expectations.... My brother and sister do but then i beleive they suffer with the same problem...

I mean at one stage not long ago while i was going through a grieving period she tried to convince me that councelling is rubbish and that what i needed was to be prayed over.... I was so worried about what she was saying i recorded the conversationon my ipod for fear of being kidnapped and tied to a chair while her and her religious freinds preformed some sort of exorcisim..

She finds it impossible to accept that I am just different to her.. I respect her views and beleifes but she does not have the ability to do the same..

Now how do i make her realise she has this problem and is there any point..

may best to carry on as i am and just let her get on with it...

THanks

X

You can not know true happiness untill you have experienced deep sorrow.

Live each day like the first and the last, don't look to the future or fret for the past, take just a step and never look back, love what you have hate not what you lack. You are divine, unique and blessed, you are the subject and life is the test. Know you will fare all weathers and trials, but for now, just sit back and relax for a while.

i dont think i had ever heard of ocpd before either. after researching it a little im sure i can idenify with a few of those symptoms!

Thread Information