Thread: Panic attack early hours

Panic attack early hours

Hi everyone,
    I had a panic attack early hours after waking up in bed. I knew I had to get up early for work but just couldnt get back to sleep, this made me panic and started an attack.
    The horrible thing was I started thinking really weird things, like life wasnt real, why we're all on earth/meaning of life and that I was going insaine.I really hope that I am not because it hurts me so much to think that I could lose my mind, I'd lose my boyfriend/flat/family along with it I think and I love them so much.I was sooo happy before I started to feel anxious.And I thought I'd got it straight with myself in my head but nope, I had another attack.
    Has anyone else had these thoughts when panicking?
    Please let me know because I feel so alone.x

Re: Panic attack early hours

You are not alone. These are common thoughts to have during a night panic attack. You're not going mad either - people who go insane don't realise that they are. Have you looked at all the resources on here? There's loads of helpful advice and shared experiences. It's demoralising, but very common to think you have overcome this then have another attack. The trick is to recognise it's just a panic attack and not let fear take hold. Fear feeds the panic. If you can't sleep for one night, so what? You'll catch up as your body needs it. Try not to worry. xx

Hi becciboo
    Panic is bad enough in the daytime 10 times worse at night
    Have alook at this
    http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms....ppage=symptoms

Depersonalization, Derealization, Feeling of unreality
    What you feel:
    Now for the Brain – the limbic system in the brain instigates this whole response and is responsible too for our emotions and behaviour One of the body symptoms that people hate most is the one when you feel all foggy, surreal, woozy or spacey. You may either feel that you are not real or that the earth is not real and you’re a time warp away. These are often the hardest symptoms to understand and its very common to deduce that you must be going mad which makes you panic even more. This is completely untrue and you are very safe.
    You feel like you are not a part of what is going on, or that you feel like you are in a dream state or ‘out of touch with things’. Also, things around you may seem like they are shimmering, foggy, hazy or too bright.
    It is from symptoms - main menu scroll through to find it - it will help you to understand.
    Best wishes
    June

thanks for your replies, I have looked up derealization on the internet and I realise now that it is just a symptom of panic/anxiety.
    I am really scared that I am going mad but its reassuring to know that most people that have anxiety also think the same thing.
    I cant help but look up things like Bipolar or mania and think I have them though..its so scary.

Hi,

Ive had about 4 major attacks during the night, and I think the reason they keep coming is down to me fearing them in the first place!

I had a terrible one just over a week ago, I wrote about it on here. I was seeing things, the curtains were coming out at me, I kept jolting whenever I did drop off to sleep, either that or I would see something nasty that would wake me up again.. it went on for hours, and at 4am (3hrs after it first started) I was still awake and feeling weak, dizzy and sick (I have a fear of being sick!) too.. thus setting off my emetophobia and health anxiety.. 'what if Im sick and I faint/fall and hurt myself'... 'what if Im seriously ill'...'this is it..' .. 'what will happen to my family if Im going mad..' .. 'should I call an ambulance..' allsorts were going through my head!

I also looked up 'delerious' and 'confusion' that night, but it only made matters worse as my book said those things were a sign of something serious and possibly an infection! So its best no to look stuff up, as hard as that may be!

Try not to worry. I know how depressing it is.. I feel Im just getting worse and worse all the time, at times I just feel despair tbh.. but youre not alone, and youre not going mad!

Hope youre ok now xx.

I feel a bit better today, although I am dreading going to bed tonight.
    I find it hard not to read up on mental illness just to see if I have any of the symptoms, and if I do, like for example-one for bipolar is feeling anxious, I immediately think I have bipolar and it makes me so sad.x

Thread Information