Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Employment support allowance

Employment support allowance

Hi there,

is anyone else on this ESA? I seem to be the only person I know that is on it, being unfortunate enough for my SSP to run out after Oct 08.

This benefit has in its short time created massive anxiety for me. I am unable to work at present, I am on high rate DLA, I visit the psych weekly/fortnightly, I have been in hospital twice in three months, I see CPN fortnightly. Yet, none of this cuts any ice and I still had to go to a medical assessment to see if I could move from lower rate ESA to middle rate.

The wonderfully well sounding argument for this new benefit is that it will focus on what people 'can' do as opposed to what they 'can't'.....so the questions are geared in such a manner that I came away feeling that I have made myself sound completely up for a job as I have made myself sound so much more able than I am at present. even if I can only do things for minutes at a time or once a week, month or whatever. On saying that, I haven't actually heard yet so maybe my benefits are not going to be stopped.....which I have convinced myself they are.

Should I lose my benefit, I can appeal but there really is little fight left in me and I am so tempted to say 'stuff it' ....but I can't....I can't afford to. Mmmmm....if it keeps up like this, I think I will be heading for hospital no 3

I'd be interested hearing others experiences, or sharing mine as the battle goes on. Battle is what it feels like.

Happyone
    xx

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

Re: Employment support allowance

ive not heard of this is it something to do with incapacity benefit?

It is replacing incapacity benefit. All new applicants from Oct 08 went onto Employment Support Allowance rather than incapicity benefit but the government want everyone who is on incapacity to be migrated over to the new benefit over the next few years.
    Happyone
    x

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

Oh great. Now I'm panicking

Why you panicking Maddie? Are you on IB?

Happyone
    x

—Mark Twain

ESA is a total mess!!

I know this because I work on an ESA claims processing section and see first hand how much the people who have to process it on a day to day basis, hate it. It all seems very ill thought out in many ways - in terms of the way it is punitive for many people who apply for it (over 75% of people who go for the medical, fail it, because the questions/examination is skewed), and for people who administrate it -- the computer system designed to register it and all, doesn't work!

I guess the govmt will have to press on with ESA, but they need to do some quick re-thinking! And if you aply for ESA and fail the medical, appeal, appeal, and appeal some more!

its all crap most fail a past once b4 a went back2 work wwaste o time u appeal same result bloody scandi;ous the mps shood change this now they dont realizse how dibilatating this is ;=]

Yes I am on IB. I am unable to work. I help my dauhter with her new baby 2 days a week and it takes me 3 days of sleep to recover. If I get a form to fill in I have panic attacks for days before I can do it and my writing is now nearly intelligible, I shake so much. Before my last medical I had to have extra medication and I was already dreading the next one. Now it's changed and what Budgie has said too has just made me feel sick in my stomach and I'm sweating. I have no money but the benefit. I have to depend on my partner. He is my carer - he shops, cleans, cooks, cares for me but can't get Carer's Allowance as he also has to work 37 hours to pay our bills. I look fine (so I'm told) because I don't want to shame my daughter, so I try to keep decent for her and the baby, but when I am home it takes me most of the day to get dressed. How do I show all of this and the rest at the new medical? It seems my only worth will be the legacy I have for my daughter and I'm beginning to think she might as well have it now. I'm too tired to appeal and fight and worry. Maybe if I put a plaster cast on my head? That sounds like humour, but it's pain. I can't take much more.

I googled it. There are working groups and support groups you have to go to and its an 8 week assessment. I won't cope with that. I've already been violated by the system. I need to be alone.

Im on ESA. I am signed off work, have been since last year due to anxiety and panic attacks.

I have to go for a medical assessment next week. If i fail it, how do i cope? im a single parent now and thats my only income :(

If i was well enough to go back to work then i would, but for the time being im not

mandie x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information