Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Long Till Escitalopram Works

Re: How Long Till Escitalopram Works

Hi Phoebe, sorry to hear your'e suffering too. Ive been on these tablets before and no doubt they do work. In the past I have come off of them too quickly as Im not keen on taking tablets but have been suffering so much for the past 8/9 weeks that im definitely not going to do that again. I started on 10mg which is a normal dose (I think) and by week 6 was feeling so much better, unfortunately from week 7 it all went downhill. Most people say that you do get dips but it is so disappointing when that happens because we are all so desperate to feel "normal" again. I know when I felt better that week I was staying up late because I was so happy just to be feeling normal that I wanted to enjoy more of it. I dont know about you but the mornings are awful for me. The doctor has now upped my does to 15mg (the last week) and at the moment am not really feeling any different but I just keep trying to tell myself that I will get better and its not going to last forever and you should try to do the same (I know its hard because you really do feel that this is it, this is how it's going to be). Stick with it Phoebe, I know the first few weeks are absolute hell but I promise it doesnt last. Hope you feel better as the day goes on - ive got the kids to school and Im now going to force myself to take the dog for a long walk - it definitely helps to keep busy even though I just want to lie on the sofa all day and wait for bedtime!! xxxx

Hi Jan, really sorry to hear Geoge had a bad day, I find when I go to work (just 2 days) im in a real state but when I get there and get busy it does stop you from constantly analyzing how you feel. Im still anxious (I think my anxiety comes from worry about stuff) it builds up, i start waking early and then the depression sets in. Its about my 3rd or 4th bout. I am just feeling so tired of it. The only time i feel normal is in the evening when I have a large glass of wine which i know is not the answer at all - do you think this could be slowing down the tablets from working?? - the mornings are the worse - every morning i wake up and think o no not another day of feeling like this its horrible. Thanks for the advice about Claire Weekes, Im gonna look on Amazon in a minute. I have ordered so meditation relaxation stuff from amazon which im waiting to turn up - i will let you know if its any good when it comes - it helps you to clear your mind (apparently!) and give yourself a break from all the madness that goes on inside you - ive read that meditation is very effective for even severe depression. Much luv to you and George and tell him we have to believe its not gonna last forever - Jan xxxx

Dear Syers,

I have recommended Claire Weekes to many people over the last couple of years. Two years ago, I was suffering terribly from anxiety and panic. I picked up a copy of Claire Weekes and sat and cried with relief. This book described all of my feelings and fears in detail and with such emphathy. It was the beginning of my road to recovery. I didn't take meds, just put this book into practice. It was hard, and change didn't come overnight. I took her book everywhere with me, including on holiday and read it so many times. Eventually, it began to sink in, I had a number of 'light bulb 'moments and recovery began.

Best wishes

Hi Moondance, Ive just ordered a copy of a Claire Weekes book from Amazon, it had so many good reviews I hope it helps me and others, im so glad Syers recommended it - thank you both xx

Hi Again
    Just read your thread, I have to say the wine definately is not helping, i know it is making you feel good in the night but alcohol is a depressant and the affects of a hangover are going to make you feel 10 times worse. God i feel like im lecturing and im sat here with a glass of wine and its 6pm. I know this as when i have too much wine i wake up early hrs in morning with my heart racing and feeling really panicky, its takes me a day to get over it. Also George had a good few weeks and we went out with friends and he had about 8 pints and when he got up the next day he felt awful and he went bac to square one and thats were he is today. We loved are alcohol but George now very rarely drinks. But hopefully when better we will start to go out again and get drunk lol. But after saying all that hun if it makes you feel half normal its working for you, but do try and take it easy.
    Im so glad you are getting claire weekes book let me know what it is like, It was nice moondance commented on this book , just goes to show it does work eh. Thanks moondance for your thread.
    Im hoping george is going back Monday but his problem is the dizzyness and he has to climb ladders all day long, But i think when he gets there as you said it will take his mind of things. We will just have to wait and see.
    Ive also asked george to go bac doctors maybe he needs his meds going up or changing. What did your dr say when you went back?
    Well jan on a lighter note how old are your children and have you any hols booked something to look forward too. We wont book a holiday yet till george starts to feel a bit normal, hopefully soon, and this site certainly is helping us both to cope.
    Take care and keep possitive x x x x x
    Love Jan and George x x x

Hiya Jan and George

Hope youre out of bed now George as its nearly time to get back in there again. Anyway, I had to go to my best friends last night, it was her 48th birthday, weve grown up together since 10 years old. They all went out after but i just went for 2 hours and had a large glass of wine and another when i got home. On the way home i was so happy, singing out loud to Heart FM, yet again thought to myself thank god its gone, im back to normal, but then i woke at 4.30am shaking inside from head to toe and have basically laid on the bed most of the day. The boys were at football and then cricket most of the day so i didnt have to put on a brave face, i just collapsed in private. Steve came home around 5pm and felt much better when I saw him, I now have a glass of wine - im only going to have 2 small ones! We have football tomorrow and have to leave early then off to cricket, i hope i feel better than i have today because ive felt awful most of the day. The doctor was happy to put me on 15mg of escitalopram as in his words he said "sometimes it needs a kick up the arse" Ive also had to get more diazepam to control the intense anxiety in the morning (2mg) but I am so worried about taking them, i dont want to end up with another problem - what meds is George on and how long has he been on them - ive now been on them 9 weeks and am cracking up as im feeling there is no hope for me - very hard to keep positive - we dont have a holiday booked this year - credit crunch etc - but we do have a caravan where we could go - probably in the six weeks holidays - luv to both of you and i hope George has a good nights sleep - much luv jan xxxx

Hi Again
    Jan
    I feel like i know you so well, god and the night out singing and all that been there done it and got t shirt he he, but my god you come crashing down is it all worth it eh. Have a wine but Take it easy hun.
    George has been on citropram for 8 weeks now . here is his story are you ready ill send you to sleep he he.
    Im going to tell you what time of a person he is first.
    Really funny and a dead dry sence of humour, really quick witted. he always likes to be center of attention giving everyone a laugh. Always doing moonies when he is out (not good to see lol) Just a real funny man Or Was past tense.
    In November he starting having pains in his stomach, he went the docs loads of times and just kept fobbing him off. I have my own business , i have market stalls, well one sat he was working for me and had a massive panic attack, well we know that now but george thought he was dying and we had to call an ambulance. His blood pressure was high and he was admitted to hospital, thay done all tests and to cut a long story short they found a problem with his bowel, nothing life threatning and something he could cope with. But by now the panic attacks had set in with all the anxiety and well things went from bad to worse with anxiety and that is were we are today.
    He is on 20mg of citropram but not working for him at mo. Our dr is crap he talks to me like george is my son lol. I dont think he understands anxiety.
    He sent us to counselling but it was a voluntry organisation and the counseller was 20yrs old. never again we have a daughter that age, she was practasing, so we have not had much luck. Anyway im his shrink lol.
    well thats it the story he he.
    Talking about hols we had 2 caravans in sunnyvale Rhyl but got to expensive and sold them.
    were is your caravan?
    Oh and 2mg is not a strong dose of diazapan but if it helps dont worry about taking them just when you need them. I find just knowing ive got them helps.
    There is always hope and you will get better trust me im a shrink remember he he. Oh nearly forgot ive just ordered dr claire book so we can compare notes.
    keep reading threads and just think to yourself you are not on your own and there is help when ever you need it.
    Take care
    Love Jan xxxx

Hiya Jan and George, sorry for delay in responding, out wiv boys all weekend, now football season over - straight into cricket - who'd have boys eh?
    I really hit rock bottom on Saturday, laid around all day, Sunday went football etc and felt a bit better. I really feel that I am very slowly getting there, im having more periods when I think, oh Ive felt quite normal this afternoon etc. mornings still crap, but one of the things I read in the Claire Weeks book is - dont lie in bed as it makes you worse and there is no doubt at all that this is right but it is so hard to make yourself get up - im still a bit anxious on my work days, but again, once i get there i stop analyising how i feel and it definitely works. How is George luv him, I really feel for him, my husband is also a very funny and kind guy, but also very sensitive and has suffered anxiety too so he does understand, he is my absolute rock, great with the boys etc and really takes pressure off at all the right times. Thank goodness George has you and you understand, it must be awful for people who are with a partner who doesnt - and let's be honest, I cant be bothered to talk to anyone who hasnt suffered this as its a bit like childbirth, unless youve experienced it you cant put it into words, and funnily enough, i find when my depression lifts and im back to normal i cant remember the exact feeling - the same a labour pains - you sort of forget. Anyway, our caravan is in suffolk, very peaceful and relaxing, its not a big posh one, its a towing one, you know the type, talking to everyone through gritted teeth as there is always someone in the way, especially when trying to organise beds!! Anyway its a bit of a bolt hole, away from home - we live about 20 miles out of London. I also saw a counsellor who didnt really help me out, ive been on the waiting list at docs so long to see a CBT counselling but he tells me its like finding chicken with teeth, and phone one who said £70 for 50 mins! A really good book that I pick up quite a lot and it has some comforting stuff in is "CBT for Dummies" easy to read and quite helpful. Luv to you both and speak soon - hugs to George xx

Hi Again Hun
    God your a busy woman, it definately the lads keeping your mind occupied.
    I have 2 lads one is 20 and 10. Love them to bits really loving my girls just stress me LOL.
    Im sorry to hear that you had a bad day, but hey you picked youself back up again so you know you will get better.
    George went back to work today, He just walked in now. He said he felt a bit shaky but he has done it and got his first day over and done with. He never slept much last night though he must have been thinking about going to work he woke up sweating.
    Doc has gave him sleeping pills and they seem to be working as he was only getting about 2 hrs a night sleep and noe he sleeps about 5 unbroken . Its making him more alert and not so stressed in day, the only thing is they are addictive you just cant bloody win can you. Anyway he is sticking to them they are doing the job.
    We are going in a caravan for 4 days end of june just us 2 and 2 friends so tha should do us good . Its very remote were we are going but as long as there is a pub nearby im not bothered lol.
    well better go and puy his T out he has done a hard days work LOL.
    Take care and keep intouch x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Hiya luv, well done to George for getting thru his work day, I too went to work today, a bit shakey on the journey but have to say i feel my best when im there, its obviously because im not constantly thinking "do I feel this way or that way" its so much better to keep occupied, although v. hard at times. ive had my best week ever last week, and still feel quite good, no great in mornings but get out of bed and put one foot in front of the other and know that as the day goes on it will get better and better. our boys are going on a school trip this friday - monday so we are going to caravan on our own, just for one or two nights, its the very first time since they were born that weve done anything like this without them, im really looking forward to it actually although i feel guilty for looking forward to it as they wont be there, mad isnt it, we do so much for them but you know how it is as a parent, i get big separation anxiety which im really trying to get over, had my kids late (im 48) so i suppose you dont go with the flow like younger parents. Anyway hope George has a better day at work tomorrow. PS I too do not sleep well, only for 4 hours and then fidget for the rest of the night. Im going to take a couple of Panadol nightime tablets tonight as ive not been taking anything but feel i need to get some Z's in. luv t u both. Jan. xxxx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information