Thread: CBT

CBT

Hi

Can anyone tell me how to go about getting some CBT (regarding being convinced I have MS -just posted a thread on MRI section)? Do you have to go through a GP? If so, how long do you have to wait for it, is there any drugs you can take for helping these crazy feelings??

Thanks
    Solly

x

Re: CBT

Sorry also, how many sessions is normally needed? Or is that a 'how long is a piece of string' question? lol

Hi

Best to go through your GP. It can take a wee while before it starts but your GP may be able to convince you that you don't have MS before that.

Hi Solly, although the literature says that cognitive therapy is generally short term, your string analogy is more on the money :-) It really depends on the skill of the therapist, the individual's circumstances, the resistance of the patient (even though we want to get well, this is what we know and in a strange way, are comfortable with...it's familiar). So many factors so a timeline is impossible to give but you have to start somewhere. Having been to quite a few therapists in my lifetime, I tell people that if you don't get good vibes of qualification after a couple of sessions, don't be intimidated by them, look for someone who you feel right with. In the meantime, get a hold of some health anxiety books. Personally, they helped me more than any therapist. I just have not found a good one even in my large city.

Thread Information