Thread: Citalopram and Periods - Help!

Unhappy Citalopram and Periods - Help!

Hi there,

I was prescribed Citalopram to help my anxiety about two months ago. After exactly a week and a half on the pills (10mg each day) I started what seemed to be a period, which is unusual because I have Poly cystic ovary syndrome and never have periods! It has been on and off since then and now my doctor is sending me for tests such as a smear etc to check it all out which has increased my anxiety levels no end. Don't get me wrong - he is a great doc but he obviously doesn't think it's the pills because it says that this is a really unusual side effect. I do think it's the pills however because it all seems like too much of a co-incidence, as I've also totally lost my libido which I hadn't before I went on the pills. The doc also upped my dose after the first four weeks because I was still having a lot of anxiety issues but I had more side effects such as feeling really agitated (like I had the creeps), very tired, sometimes hyper, dry mouth, thirsty. So now I'm back on the lower dose.

Has anyone else ha problems with bleeding whilst on this - that can re-assure me. Obviously I'm going for the smear and such like but I really think I know my own body.

Thanks folks x

Re: Citalopram and Periods - Help!

Hi Baglady
    Citalopram have messed around with my periods and I wrote a post about this a while ago. I have been taking citalopram for almost 2 months I think - my memory has gone too!
    I have no libido at all - its long gone. Since taking the medication, it is the last thing on my mind. I have read that this is a common side effect of taking citalopram - for women and for men too.
    I am glad your gp is checking you out firstly though before putting it all down to citalopram and anxiety.
    I hope everything goes well for you - let us know how you get on.
    Last edited by PoppyC; 18-05-09 at 15:15.

Hi Poppy - thanks for your re-assurance. Have had the first few tests but am too scared to phone and get the results - obsessing about worst case scenario which is making me feel depressed

x

Hi again Baglady
    Thank you for your reply. Sorry to hear you are getting depressed as you are worried about the test results.
    You will probably be getting depressed over nothing, and if you don't phone you will continue to feel worse, so why not phone, and put your mind at ease. I am sure everything will be fine.
    Please let us know how you get on.

Thread Information