Thread: Trying to come off Citalopram

Trying to come off Citalopram

I have been on citalopram for two years. Been doing really well on it for the past year so now starting to reduce. Gone from 20mg to 10 mg for the past three weeks.......had a few bad days but hopefully this is just the withdrawal. Going to take one every other day now for a week and a half. Anyone else reduced it this way? How long after you stop totally does it take to not have withdrawal??

Anyone take any vitamin supplements etc when trying to come off these tablets. Anyone got any tips ?

Re: Trying to come off Citalopram

B-vitamins can help, so can omega 3 with high EPA content, as can eating oily fish. You are probably better off reducing to 5mg every day rather than one tablet every other day. This ensures a steady supply of the drug to your bloodstream rather than constant interruptions.

After another couple of weeks cut the 5mg down to 2.5mg, and after that you may be ready to stop altogether.

PS congratulations on recovering to this point!

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Hi Pete its good to hear you are doing well.The best way to reduce these types of meds is to do it gradually,that way the discontinuation syndrome is not as bad.I would suggest taking 5mg for a couple of weeks then 5mg every other day.Omega fish oil is recommended and a good vitamin B Complex.The withrawals will probably last 3 weeks after your final dose . Wishing you all the best Sue x

Thanks for your comments. skipped a tablet today as per DR's advice and did feel a bit woozzy but overall it was not too bad. think i will stick with Dr's advice and continue only taking a 10mg tablet every other day and see how it goes. When i saw him and told him i wanted to try and come off the tablets, he basically said you can just stop now if you want. i said i would prefer to reduce my does. Think they underestimate that people suffer from withdrawal from these tablets.

too right doctors underestimate withdrawal!!! I have come straight off Librium, seroxat, cital, fluanxol and amitriptyline at different points! No tapering. Cold turkey is hell. Good luck x

Thread Information