Thread: I can't drink/manage alcohol

I can't drink/manage alcohol

Hi, does anyone else find on Effexor/Venlafaxine they can't drink very much if at all?

A few weeks ago I had 2 beers, and it gave me a hangover of like 6+. Does anyone else have this problem? I tend to not drink at all anymore because it just makes me feel terrible.

Dahlia is offline Intermediate Member

Re: I can't drink/manage alcohol

My understanding is that you shouldn't really drink on Effexor as it magnifies the effect of the alcohol. I think the same is true for the SSRIs too.

Dahlia

It's much better to learn to be happy without alcohol, speaking from experience. Alcohol only gives false happiness with a comedown to follow.

Hi, I have found the same problem. The alcohol seems to be intensified and without realising it, even though only having a few drinks, you feel like you have had lots. Recently I had a bad episode, went out with my partner and some friends for a meal. Had a few drinks before we went out, a few drinks with the meal then I cant remember anything else about the evening. Apparently I was like a totally changed person, agressive, argumentative and totally out of order. It took me 3-4 days to feel normal after that. I dont drink a lot but like to have a drink when going out with friends. Seems a shame that on top of the depression we cant even have a drink! Dont know if there is another antidepresssant to take with which you can have a drink and be ok, anyone know?
    Suzz999

Hi,

After years of trying to find a good balance between drinking and medications, the best way for me was to stop drinking completely.

I don't miss it now at all

I am on venlafaxine and drinking on it has caused me lots of problems - weird behaviour, missing work, and then crashing lows for several days afterwards. I would definitely advise against drinking at all. If only I could manage that myself.......

Thread Information