Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloating and citalopram

Bloating and citalopram

Hi
    Ok, adding to my list of side effects that come and then eventually go on citalopram, last weeks side effects were tinnitus and also the most awful bloating!!!!!!!!!
    I have a thread elsewhere about the tinnitus but this is about the bloating...does anyone else get this? or is it just me?
    I take my tablet and then within 3 hours, I start feeling really bloated and I know this does not sound very ladylike - but I keep burping!!!!!!!!!! What do I do???????????? I cant go around keeping burping!!!!!!!
    I feel like air is trapped in my chest. I have not experienced this before. I know its the citalopram becomes it comes on every time now that I take one within 3 hours. What can I take for it that won't react with the citalopram? I was going to ask the chemist but I got too embarrassed...what can I say 'Oh what can you recommend for burping?' Nooooo....I can't do it!!!! I would go bright red.
    I don't burp usually of course- I'm a lady!!!!

Re: Bloating and citalopram

Hi Poppy,

When you say you feel bloated, do you mean trap wind? I have noticed since I have been on Citalopram I have a lot of trap wind.

Keith

Hi Keith
    Yes...trapped wind I feel like I can't breathe with it. Do you get this then too since taking citalopram??? Its awful - I keep having to burp. This side effect had better go, I can cope with the other side effects, but I can't burp for the rest of my time on citalopram

I was going to ask the chemist but I got too embarrassed...what can I say 'Oh what can you recommend for burping?'
    Coca-Cola. I can produce some right melodies after drinking that.

What do I do???????????? I cant go around keeping burping!!!!!!!
    Try sitting on the toilet and having a good fart, see if that helps

Seriously this doesn't sound like anything to worry about. It might not even be connected to citalopram, everyone gets trapped wind from time to time. Except for me. For me, "better out than in" is a philosophy, not a saying.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Hi poppy,

Since I have been on Citalopram the side efects with trap wind has been terrible. At times it can be very embarrassing in company. I am afraid to say Poppy, that is one of the downsides with taking Citalopram. You can imagine what it is like taking 60msg of Citalopram a day. It isn't much fun!

Keith

Try gaviscon. I love that stuff. I have had loads of bloating and heart burn since taking this medication

Thank You Keith and Kt79!
    I appreciate your helpful & understanding replies.

Keith - If I suffer like this on 20mg then I can only imagine what you must be like on 60mg!!! I bet it is no fun either! The pain and discomfort I get is within my chest and it can get really painful - almost to the point where I feel like I can't breathe - and the bloating is awful. I was awake in the night with it for a while.

Kt79 - I will try Gaviscon. Thanks for recommending it. Is it ok to take with citalopram? I always worry about taking anything in case it reacts with citalopram.

OMG! This topic is me!!

I've had issues with ibs-type symptoms for a long time, but I've found no improvement with cit. I find I get more acid indigestion. I'm used to being bloated, but lately its been outrageous I look pregnant! Its really painful, too, and goes right up into my chest. The worst thing is it gets stuck like that, I can't burp it out, or fart it out All sorts of stuff I've tried doesn't seem to help... Its not just embarrassing, its agony I can't say that this is because of citalopram or what, but its really afflicting.

Hi Budgie
    Thanks for your post.
    I am sorry to hear you too suffer with this - you sound much worse than me though!
    I never used to have anything like this before citalopram - no IBS - or any heartburn or indigestion.
    The bloating makes me feel like I can't breathe - it makes me feel really yukky.
    My chest hurts with it. Its painful isn't it? I keep burping lol Embarrassing or what!
    I wont stop taking citalopram though cos it is really helping me now. I am going to try some Gaviscon and see if that helps relieve it.

Hi poppy. Im pretty sure you can take it with citalopram. Well I have been. You can take Gaviscon when your pregnant but maybe ask the pharamcist just to be on the safe side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information