Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can anxiety make me feel this ill?

Smile Re: Can anxiety make me feel this ill?

Hi Becky,

I get these symptoms quite frequently.. I often feel flu ish and have even wondered if I have fibromyalgia at times though I don't think I fit these symptoms really. The tiredness can be unreal and after a stressful period your body really needs time to relax. I would get as much rest as possible and treat yourself very kindly for a little while as you 'recover' from the stress. It can take a few weeks so don't worry if the feelings linger. And....I don't see any harm in going to your GP for a check up, take some bloods, check for things like anaemia/thyroid/blood sugar levels just to be on the safe side and set your mind at ease.

All the best to you
    Amanda

Re: Can anxiety make me feel this ill?

I can totally relate to this, i think i have felt every feeling possible over the last 2 months since it kicked in big time. Don't worry - i look at it as the bodys way of getting rid of unwanted negative energy xx

Hi, I have all the anxiety symptoms and have done for many years. I have also developed flu like symptoms in the last 5-6 weeks, which at first I thought was some kind of head cold or flu. I now think it is some kind of an allergy to my cats and im going to the doctor to get it checked out tomorrow.

I have to say that after spending time on here during the past 3 days I've felt so reassured that what I have is a symptom of anxiety (or stress) that I've relaxed about it and guess what? It's gone!
    It WASN'T my imagination, I promise. I know how ill I felt. It never ceases to amaze me what anxiety can produce in the form of physical symptoms.
    I think that alot of the time, these symptoms we suffer from scare us so that we have even more anxiety and in turn even more symptoms.
    If we could just have someone to ask: is this anxiety? we'd probably not suffer half the symptoms we do and would recover quicker too.

hi

its weird isnt it how when we go through a stressful or tough time we tend to muddle along,then when the situation that caused all the stress is long gone or hopefully sorted.......

then hey heigh we go down the pan,we are left with the after anxiety and generally feeling poo...... physical symptoms as our bodies are so mentally worn out, dont know about anyone else but i get sick of my own voice saying

"I DONT FEEL WELL,NOT SURE WHATS WRONG,JUST DONT FEEL RIGHT"

and so it goes on

take care
    love skyxx

Quote Originally Posted by becky000 View Post
    I have to say that after spending time on here during the past 3 days I've felt so reassured that what I have is a symptom of anxiety (or stress) that I've relaxed about it and guess what? It's gone!
    It WASN'T my imagination, I promise. I know how ill I felt. It never ceases to amaze me what anxiety can produce in the form of physical symptoms.
    I think that alot of the time, these symptoms we suffer from scare us so that we have even more anxiety and in turn even more symptoms.
    If we could just have someone to ask: is this anxiety? we'd probably not suffer half the symptoms we do and would recover quicker too.

god , your so lucky/.. you feel all of the symptoms are gone completely?

After reading about everyone else's problems, advice and stories here I've started to accept that what I have is just symptoms of anxiety. That in itself has helped me to relax which in turn has helped me to feel better.
    This was a test that worked really well. I didn't go to the doctor but decided to wait it out and see what happened. I did everything I could to get reassurance and also tried to rid myself of any stress this weekend. The result is that I feel much better today.
    I hope this will help others who experience these symptoms too.

I thought I was better after a restful weekend but by Tuesday i was feeling really ill again. Dizzy, flu-ish, nauseous, jelly-legs etc etc. I was getting so anxious about what I could be suffering from that I decided to see the Doctor today.
    She did lots of tests but is pretty sure it's all anxiety related.
    High blood pressure due to all the anxiety and panic and low blood sugar - due to not being able to eat. She says these can both cause dizziness. She also told me that all the adrenaline we produce each time we have a panic attack or just feel anxious can cause us to feel quite ill afterwards too.
    I asked her: How can I get better? She said: stop stressing!
    Easier said than done.........
    But at least I feel less worried have been checked out by the doctor and told what this is and why it's happening.

Following on from my first post about feeling so ill and being unsure about what was causing it, I'm happy to report that it proved to be just stress/anxiety and nothing more.
    For about 10 days I felt dizzy and nauseous and a bit flu-ish. I became really worried that there was something very wrong and of course the anxiety caused my symptoms to increase.
    I braved a visit to the doctor where after various tests it was found that I had high blood pressure - probably due to the anxiety and low-blood sugar - due to not eating because of the anxiety and both of these were also helping to cause the light-headed dizziness.
    The doctor explained that after going through alot of stress and anxiety all the adrenaline that ones body produces at this time doesn't get used for it's actual reason and this can cause a person to eventually feel quite ill.
    24 hours later I feel so much better. I'm still amazed at what anxiety can do to a person.
    I've had a thought: maybe when we have times of anxiety and produce all this adrenaline we should then start moving around and do some physical exercise in order to use the adrenaline. Maybe then we won't get all these other symptoms or the "hangover" that so many of us seem to suffer from.

then I start to feel as though I'm coming down with flu except the flu never materialises.

That has been happening to me over the last few months.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information